Find love in apartheid 'Country

John Boorman does a brilliant job directing "In My Country," even surpassing his 1972 film "Deliverance."

"In My Country," couples the subject of apartheid and forgiveness. "In My Country" tells the story of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission hearings that took place in South Africa in the 1990s. As a result of the hearings, those responsible for atrocities committed during the country's apartheid era were given the chance to receive amnesty by telling victims what they had done and showing remorse.

Anna Malan (Juliette Binoche), a white South African radio journalist, attends the hearings and meets Washington Post reporter Langston Whitfield (Samuel L. Jackson). Although they first disagree about the hearings, they soon develop strong feelings toward each other. Anna and Langston learn the atrocities of both victims and perpetrators as they travel all over South Africa.

In the midst of the hearings, Anna and Langston's romance tells a story about the search for truth. Langston also interviews a member of the South African police, played by Brendan Gleason, which gives him a chance to enter the mind of a brutal monster whose legacy has affected the country.

However, the real impact of the movie comes from the true stories told by the victims and the perpetrators of the apartheid. Sympathy can be felt from both sides, allowing for a genuine story of redemption and forgiveness.

"In My Country" is more than a story of the apartheid's effects on South Africa or of two journalists falling in love. It shows the power of healing.