All that glitters is not Gucci

The Eagle looks at spring style for fashionistas on a shoestring

Spring weather floats in and out of these April days like rubbish on the banks of the Potomac, tempting some to blow their hard-earned snow-shoveling money on name brand and designer duds. However, that wad of cash can be spent more productively with help from the amazing, underpriced new spring lines from the likes of Payless Shoe Source, Target and H&M.

Nordstrom's hoard of spring shoes screams of bow-tipped ballet flats, small-heeled slides with wrap-around knots at the toe, and sportier versions of the classic Mary Jane. Payless's colorful take on these styles features a striped, casual ballerina flat, an update on the moccasin, and strappy wedge sandals.

Ballerina flats at Payless will run the average bargain-seeker around $14.99 per pair, and these darlings come in icy blue, pink, gold, and basic black or white. Nordstrom's casual flats run from the very ugly at $29.95 to the pair that screams, "How could these shoes possibly cost $440?" at, well, $440.

Target's spring line of Mossimo brand clothing includes flirty sundresses, high-collared mod trenches, and the basics in t-shirts and tank tops. The Xhilaration brand line has sash-belted cropped pants in many colors, one-button short coats, and lacy camisoles.

Similar coats are available from Armani Exchange for around $140, a $100 increase from the Target price. One or two-button blazers are splayed all over the Saks Fifth Avenue website, but jackets like these come cheaper at the store whose clothing rack is right next to the athletic equipment department. The beautiful, floaty halters and tube tops from Saks could be substituted with a Target camisole without much notice from the general public. The cheapest Saks blouse is on sale at $49.90, with the most expensive chiffon tunic at $398. Target's tops, on the other hand, hit their peak with Mossimo's $19.99 hooded jacket.

That wad of cash can be spent more productively with help from the amazing, underpriced new spring lines from the likes of Payless Shoe Source, Target and H&M.
H&M has become a staple for keeping up with trends over the past few years. The clothing in the store is even color-coded to help simplify a typically hectic shopping trip. Tanks with peasant-style bottoms are "in" this season, and H&M has them for around $14.90. Anthropologie, the trendy boutique that just recently appeared in Georgetown, has them for around $140. The gauzy tank slip dresses at the same size-limited store are, on average, $148, while at H&M they're around $24.90.

Coach bags are notoriously must-have items among college-age and young professional females. Something about that classic "C" logo causes girls to swoon more than roses and chocolate on Valentine's Day. Amazon.com has decently-priced and similarly styled items - a bright blue belted Coach tote, $198, ain't no thang compared to Amazon's "Monica" tote for $39.95.

In the end, it looks like bright colors, pretty tank tops, smart jackets, and sundresses are "in." It seems that these things can all be pulled off without spending thousands of dollars. To manage being fashionable this season, just glance inside an already full closet: everything you need is probably already hanging there.