Movie Matches

The first English language film starring Latin super-hottie Gael Garc¡a Bernal, "dot the i," opens tomorrow at the Landmark E St. Theater, and is a darkly comic story about a love triangle (what is it with Bernal and love triangles? "Y Tu Mam  Tambi?n?" More like: "Heck, I'll even do the whole family!"). Well, this week we put our "i" on titles that harness the power of the alphabet.

D-lightful

"Vampire Hunter D" - 1985

According to Hideuki Kikuchi, author of the original Japanese novel on which this anime was based, the story of D, a half-vampire-half-human vampire hunter, was inspired by Phil Collins music video for the song "Gunfighter." For those of you that haven't seen it, it's the one where Phil Collins kills a bunch of vampires.

Masterful

"M" - 1931

Peter Lorre stars in Fritz Lang's classic film as a criminal whose crimes are so terrifying that the rest of Germany's criminals join the manhunt to bring him to justice. Too bad that Lorre, who appeared in several other great films like "The Maltese Falcon" and "Arsenic and Old Lace," pulled a Raul Julia and died in 1964, the same year he appeared in the Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello beach party flick "Muscle Beach Party" (Julia died the same year he appeared as M. Bison in the "Street Fighter" video game movie).

Quack-tastik

"John Q" - 2002

So this is the one about Denzel protecting that little girl, you know, what's-her-face. She's in all those movies, and Robert DeNiro just did one with her for some reason. Oh no, wait, that was "Man on Fire." Wait, so okay, this is the one about Denzel trying to take the money while being the chief of police, and then Eva Mendes is all getting wise, and then all the sudden at the end of the trailer Denzel totally falls off a balcony for some reason. No, wait, that's that movie "Out of Time." "John Q"... hmm. I got nothing.

X-Treme

"Jason X" - 2001

So, in his tenth movie, the knife-wielding hockey-masked super-zombie super-killer Jason Voorhies goes on a killing rampage... in space!!! Yeahhh boyyy! Oh man, this movie is so good. Jason totally battles a team of commando space marines and toasts them all. Then, he gets served by this android, but then, after Jason totally becomes this crazy cyborg super-weapon, he takes it up a notch. It's murrrderrr! Even if the internet rumors claiming Quentin Tarantino was directing the next "Friday the 13th" film have been debunked as baloney by the Q-man, including the most recent "Freddy vs. Jason," there are still 11 quality Jason films for us all to enjoy.

T-multuous

"Dr. T & the Women" - 2000

In Robert Altman's ultra-whack movie, Richard Gere plays a gynecologist who's surrounded by neurotic women. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, a giant tornado shows up out of nowhere. Then Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt and Philip Seymour Hoffman show up to battle the tornado. "They're not in it for the money, they're in it for the science!" Well, actually, that didn't happen. That was actually in the movie "Twister." But there was actually a tornado in "Dr. T"