Local arts on display at indie showcase

The "deaDCity Arts Collective," a group of D.C. punk artists devoted to promoting creativity in the city, opened its first art show on Friday.

The show, "Never Mind the Corcoran," is in the Warehouse gallery at 1019 Seventh St. NW, which has been filled with art from local young artists, including AU sophomore Carni Klirs. There are pieces ranging from traditional pencil drawings to eclectic mixed media displays. There is even a knit hat on display.

"The show exists to invigorate the DC arts community and provide an alternative to the elitist, commodity driven gallery/museum scene," said the Collective's Web site.

The show includes some controversial pieces as well. There is a collage depicting oral sex called "Cheri," by Orion Peter, and a pen-and-ink drawing of a skull-headed figure representing Jesus holding a withered heart called "Plague," by Josh Brettel.

Famed graffiti artist Borf, who has spray-painted his name in many places across the city, submitted a piece to the show. It is a portrait created with three layers of stencils and spray paint.

Marianna Pegno, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she liked "Gnash Gnash" the best. The ink and gesso piece by artist Caitlin S. was created with an artist's book that had been pulled apart.

"The application technique was interesting and intense," Pegno said. "I liked the layering and the ink used within the color."

"Never Mind the Corcoran" is more than a promotion of the arts. It represents a shift of the D.C. punk scene from a loose unspoken alliance to an organized group with a mission.

Mikey, a collective member who goes only by his first name, said the collective has unofficially existed for years but only recently started planning joint events and created a Web site.

"Now that it is tangible we'll see how far it goes," Mikey said. He said the group has modeled itself after similar collectives in other cities, such as the "Mr. Roboto Project" in Pittsburgh.

"Culture is fleeting in this town," Mikey said. "Everything is being bulldozed to make room for high rises, and they are decimating culture in the process."

Pegno thought the collective was an "awesome idea," but thought the gallery atmosphere felt exclusive.

"All the people I talked to were really nice, but I walked in and felt slightly out of place just because everyone seemed to know each other and be in the same group,"

she said. "But you get that with

art."

The art show is the first of a series of events to raise money for a permanent independent art space in D.C. The space will have a studio with donated supplies as well as display and performance space.

The show will run until March 27. It is open from 3 to 9 p.m. For more information go to the deaDCity Arts Collective Web site, www.arts.dead-city.org.