What to do if you're single at AU

Valentine's Day is here yet again and you're still single. Speaking from a girl who has yet to have a boyfriend - ever - join the club! But don't spend Monday holed up in your room with a Danielle Steele novel and some chocolate; there are actually some great ways to enjoy being single on campus.

First, don your favorite pink or red shirt, heart-shaped earrings or heart-patterned tie.

Then, when you head to TDR on Monday, try to find that TDR crush you've been gazing at over the smoky sandwich-toaster since finals last semester. Start up a conversation about something completely random, like the recent rise in Quad sports due to the unexplained spring-like weather. Speaking of weather, there's another conversation-starter. Oddly enough, it's one of my favorite things to talk about.

When you're in the middle of class, in a TDR-induced stupor, instead of working in a group with the usual classmate you're friendly with, head over to the cutie with the gorgeous dark hair you've been dying to run your fingers through. Who knows, with some smart remarks, you may get to feel that hair sooner than you think.

Another single-on-campus option comes straight from "Clueless." Head to the bookstore, buy yourself some fun gifts for Valentine's Day, and tell all your friends about your new "secret admirer." A little egotistical, yes, but it is addictively fun.

You could also take advantage of The Eagle's classified personal ads in the spirit of Valentine's. Answer one if you think it's your soulmate ... or just revel in the humor of others' missed opportunities.

To end the day, bask in your single glory! Be proud that you didn't constantly ask friends who don't really care about your "special someone" what to get him or her. Head over to Hollywood Video with your favorite single friends and rent a bunch of the sappiest movies you can find: "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Gone with the Wind," "Love Actually," and even "The Notebook." Order Chinese food and just sit back and relax, knowing that you're surrounded by people who love you ... just maybe not THAT way. Happy Valentine's Day, AU!