Tennis serves in new year

AU Tennis wrapped up its first month of the spring season last weekend as the men outlasted George Washington, 5-2, and the women stumbled at Penn State, 7-0.

The men (2-1) didn't manage a doubles victory but took five matches from the Colonials in singles play. One win came from redshirt senior Juan Jaysingh, the former Patriot League tournament MVP, who returned to the court this year after an injury sidelined him last spring.

Sophomore Julia Colarusso pushed her opponent to the edge in a 7-6 loss in her first set, but that was the closest the Eagles (0-1) came to a win in the losing effort against the Nittany Lions.

Both teams are adapting to life without some key components that once helped them to PL championships. The two-time defending champion women lost their top two players to graduation, while the three-time champion men lost their coach and five starters - including three first-team all-conference picks - to graduation. This tasks new men's coach Kyle Bailey with keeping the program at the top of the league despite this year's less experienced squad.

"It's been a challenge, no doubt," said Bailey, a 2002 AU graduate. "The program was well-run before I came in, so the guys who are here have an understanding and can show what it's all about."

He added that he is pleased by the new players' commitment to the team, which has eased the transition.

The most experienced name on Bailey's roster is Jaysingh, who hasn't been on the losing side of a match in AU's three spring outings. The third-ranked singles player won against the Colonials and paired with sophomore Jeffrey Schnell on Jan. 23 to win doubles matches in AU's 4-1 victory over East Tennessee State and 4-1 loss to Winthrop.

"He's like a coach almost, a spiritual leader," Bailey said. "Without him, we would have had a tough season."

Behind Jaysingh in seniority is junior Juancarlo Vasquez, who has been at the No. 1 spot in individual play. The former PL rookie of the year and second-team pick is 1-2 this year, with losses to Winthrop and George Washington.

One notable newcomer has been junior transfer Nicholas Frayssinoux, who is 2-1 after starting every spring match at the second spot. In October, the native of France won the top tournament at the D.C. Metro Championships by beating Jaysingh in a three-set decision.

The men have about two weeks' rest before they begin the heart of the season at No. 29 North Carolina. PL play begins March 24 when they face Lafayette in Easton, Pa. The women's squad returns to the court this weekend at Virginia Commonwealth and opens league play March 25, hosting Lafayette.