Return of 007 ... with whom?

Who will rock the tux after Brosnan is double-o done?

He's handsome. He's British. He drives the newest cars and dates the hottest women. He can pull off a tux, drink a martini (shaken, not stirred) and destroy the world's most dangerous villains without even breaking a sweat. Bond ... James Bond, the most famous British intelligence agent on the big screen, is back to save the world again.

After 40 years, 20 movies and five leading actors, the billion-dollar 007 franchise will release "Casino Royale" in 2006. But Pierce Brosnan, who has played Bond since 1995, announced early this month that he will not appear in the next film, explaining that "everything comes to an end."

The "Casino Royale" director has been hired and the producers are ready, but who will become the next leading man to take the sixth spot, the latest of a line of famous, successful James Bonds?

Even though an official press release from Eon Productions stated that "no decision has yet been made regarding casting for the role of James Bond," critics and fans have been battling over who would make the sexiest secret agent.

When Brosnan suggested Colin Farrell to take the part, Farrell said he wasn't interested and recommended someone the public has not seen in other movies. Since then, a number of actors have been considered for the part. Clive Owen and Jude Law from the 2004 sex drama "Closer," "X-Men" star Hugh Jackman and "Mission Impossible II" 's Dougray Scott have all been suggested to be upgraded to secret agent status. Ewan McGregor from "Moulin Rouge" and other actors have also been favorites among Bond fans.

"I'm a huge fan of Hugh Jackman," said School of Communication professor Rodger Streitmatter, who covers James Bond's cultural influence in his Media and Sexuality class. "But quite frankly, I'd rather he use his wonderful talents as an actor, dancer and singer on roles that would allow him to shine in all these areas."

Instead, Streitmatter favors a newer star, citing the need for 007 to reach a new generation of movie-goers.

"My first choice for the next 007 would be Topher Grace. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he's young and well-known among young movie fans, and the James Bond franchise definitely would benefit from attracting a new generation of fans," Streitmatter said. "After his success on 'That '70s Show,' I think our boy Topher would be perfect."

Bond film No. 21 is based on author Ian Fleming's first 007 novel, published in 1953, which in 1954 was adapted as an Americanized made-for-television movie featuring "Jimmy Bond." It was then used as a template for an unofficial James Bond spy spoof film in 1967.

Since "Die Another Day," the most recent Bond film, swept through theaters in 2002 and grossed more than $425 million in ticket sales, fans have been waiting for the next addition to the series. They will have to wait at least another year before they can see "Casino Royale" in theaters, creating the largest gap between Bond films since the hiatus between "License to Kill" in 1989 and "GoldenEye" in 1995.

Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, producers of the James Bond films, recently announced that Martin Campbell, the director of "GoldenEye," will direct "Casino Royale" when he finishes filming "Legend of Zorro," the sequel to "The Mask of Zorro."

But who will work with Campbell and secure Bonds' license to kill? And more importantly, will he also have that timeless license to thrill?

Clive Owen

Age: 41 Birthplace: England Filmography: "Closer" (2004), "King Arthur" (2004) Unreleased films: "Sin City," "Derailed," "Saving Grace"

GoldenBoy: "I love Clive Owen. He's really confident and athletic, and I believe he would be able to pull of James Bond stunts over many other actors ... and he's very suave." - Deanna Muldoon, senior

The Man Is Not Enough: "I think that in the past Clive Owen has played more mature characters than the others." - Greg Simon, junior

Hugh Jackman

Age: 37 Birthplace: Australia Filmography: "Van Helsing" (2004), "X-Men 2" (2003), "Kate and Leopold" (2001), "X-Men" (2000)

Unreleased films: "X-Men 3," "Ratropolis," "The Fountain"

GoldenBoy: "Hugh Jackman has the necessary macho persona, but he also is rather sauve - aka what James Bond is all about - versus let's say Jude Law, who is just too feminine for the part." - Arya Hariharan, sophomore

The Man Is Not Enough: "Hugh Jackman is not a good choice for James Bond because all he does are cheesy sci-fi movies. He needs to be more distinguished for Bond." - Kevin Gaughen, alumnus

Dougray Scott

Age: 40 Birthplace: Scotland

Filmography: "Soldier Soldier" (TV), "Enigma" (2001), "Mission: Impossible II" (2000), "Ever After" (1998)

Unreleased films: "The Cone Gatherer," "The Mermaids Singing," "Perfect Creature," "Dark Water"

GoldenBoy: "He definitely has that James Bond look, plus he was awesome as Prince Charming in 'Ever After.'" - Alison Yost, junior

The Man Is Not Enough: "He isn't suave enough. I think it would be hard to see him as James Bond, who everyone is supposed to love." - Jessica Rouke, senior

Dominic West

Age: 36

Birthplace: England

Filmography: "The Wire" (TV), "The Forgotten" (2004), "Mona Lisa Smile" (2003), "Chicago" (2002), "28 Days" (2000)

GoldenBoy: "Dominic is way better than all the 'west.' There's no better jump than from girl power to spy power." - Maria Coyne, junior

The Man Is Not Enough: "He was in 'Spice World.' That's an automatic 'hell no' just on principle." -Jessica Rouke, senior

Ewan McGregor

Age: 34

Birthplace: Scotland

Filmography: "Big Fish" (2003), "Down with Love" (2003), "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" (2002), "Black Hawk Down" (2001), "Moulin Rouge" (2001)

Unreleased films: "Flora Plum," "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," "The Island," "Valiant," "Stay," "Robots"

GoldenBoy: "I think he would be both badass and charming." - Wayde Daigneault, senior

The Man Is Not Enough: "Ewan McGregor would make a good James Bond if he bulked up a bit, but I don't think he'd take the job." - Melissa Diemand, junior

Jude Law

Age: 33 Birthplace: England

Filmography: "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" (2004), "The Aviator" (2004), "Closer" (2004), "Alfie" (2004), "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (2004), "I Heart Huckabees" (2004), "Cold Mountain" (2003)

Unreleased films: "Dexterity," "All the King's Men"

GoldenBoy: "Jude Law would be good because he has a mysterious persona and he's extremely attractive. His accent is also amazing." - Lisa Gruber, senior

The Man Is Not Enough: "Jude Law is too pretty." - Joey Kaufman, freshman