NAACP Workshop (Part of Black History Month)

NAACP Workshop (part of Black History Month) By: Melinda C. Hall Eagle Staff Writer

As part of Black History Month, the American University chapter of the NAACP and Bank of America co-sponsored a workshop entitled "Financial Empowerment Monday night at 6:30 in the Gianni Lounge of the Mary Graydon Center . The same workshop was held in December.

Teena Pankey-Davis, representative of the Washington Northwest Market of Bank of America and employee of the downtown Silver Spring branch, called the program a "small, informal workshop."

"I don't have a prepared spiel," said Pankey-Davis, who said she wanted to teach students how to build good credit.

Pankey-Davis, who filed for bankruptcy when she was younger, said "I have stock in the oodles-of-noodles company," referencing her tough financial days.

Assisting Pankey-Davis in the workshop was Althea Ogletree, also representative of the Washington Northwest Market division.

Bernadette Gailliard, a junior in the Kogod School of Business and vice president of the AU NAACP, was present as representative of the NAACP along with Diane Carroll, an undecided freshman who is the press and publicity chair for the NAACP. Pizza and prizes were provided for workshop participants.

Gailliard said the last program was successful and that the workshop was held again to pass the information on to more students. Approximately ten students attended the workshop.

Bank of America offers specialized checking accounts for students. Checking accounts include free, unlimited online banking services as well as an online bill-pay program offered without charge. In an offer that lasts until May of this year, the bank will give cash rewards to students who open accounts and refer their friends to the programs.

Bank of America also offers a student credit card with no annual fee.

"We have higher standards," said Pankey-Davis.

The workshop highlighted financial responsibility as a key factor in good credit and in paying back student loans later in life. "It's not nice being poor, it's really not," said Pankey-Davis. "You don't want to put yourself in the situation where you're at a credit card company that's not looking out for your best interest."

Pankey-Davis and Ogletree recommend Bank of America's student credit card as the ideal way to build good credit.

Darnell Ferguson, a senior in the School of Communications majoring in broadcast journalism, lost his Bank of America student credit card, the platinum Visa, and $2,000 in charges were fraudulently run up on his card. The bank, said Ferguson , credited his account and began investigating the crime the next day.

The online banking system, continued Ferguson , "is very convenient"