Movie Matches: Tommy Lee Jones and big hats

Tommy Lee Jones + five cheerleaders = big hat. That's right. In "Man of the House," Tommy Lee Jones has a really big cowboy hat. Let's take a walk down large chapeau lane and look at some of the big hat flicks of yesteryear.

"League of Extraordinary Gentleman" - 2003 You can't talk about big hats without mentioning "LXG." The ridiculously bad movie based off the actually good graphic novel centers around Sean Connery and a bunch of literary antiheroes like the Invisible Man and Captain Nemo. Maybe the reason Connery's hat is so big is because that's where they're hiding the continuity .(Since when does Tom Sawyer know how to drive?)

"Three Amigos!" - 1986 Who would have thought that almost 20 years after this comedian three-way that Martin Short would have the best career out of these amigos. Think about it. Chevy Chase is no where to be seen (he wasn't even in the straight-to-video "Christmas Vacation 2") and Steve Martin has jumped from pairing up with Queen Latifah on "Bringing Down the House" to Beyonce in his remake of "The Pink Panther" opening later this year. Short, on the other hand, has had a semi-decent cable shoe ("Primetime Glick") and guest-starred on television's two best shows "Arrested Development" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

"Dudley Do-Right" - 1999 Oh Alferd, what were you thinking? Sometime after screwing over Indiana Jones in the famous opening scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and before slapping on the tentacles for "Spider-Man 2," Alferd Molina played Snidely Whiplash in the ill-conceived "Dudley Do-Right." This is by far the worst role of his career. He is luckier than Raul Julia, whose worst role (M. Bison in "Street Fighter") was his last. I bet you're wondering what Molina's best role is? Look no further than "Texas Rangers," the western starring James Van Der Beek, Ashton Kutcher and Usher. Rent it just to see "Dawson" do "the jump" to ice the villainous Molina.

"Wild Wild West" - 1999 "A wicky wicky wild wild." Big hat's where it's at in this flick, and if you don't agree, "no you don't know nada." "Wild Wild West" has buttloads of witty and totally un-PC retorts between Will Smith and a wheelchair-bound Kenneth Branaugh. Smith makes fun of Branaugh for being handicapped and Branaugh plays the race card. Next, it's one step away from a "wild wild" hate crime.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" - 2003 One things for sure, pirates have totally big hats. But a message to Orlando Bloom: a neckerchief? What were you thinking? But there's plenty of pirate movies off the starboard bow as there's not one, but two "Pirates of the Caribbean" films in the works. For all of you counting at home that makes it a trilogy. Maybe Captain Jack Sparrow will meet up with the Arrghhh-chetict.