Dupont Undiscovered

New gems in the D.C. mine you think you memorized

With its energetic spirit and upscale artiness, Dupont Circle is just a few stops down Metro's Red Line and one of D.C.'s most vibrant neighborhoods. Men in scarves and women in designer heels weave in and out of the incessant traffic and into the various clubs, bars, shops and restaurants this cultural center offers.

"It's a young, hipster crowd," said Joe McGauley, a freshman in the School of International Service. "After 10 p.m., there's stuff to do all the time in Dupont."

The Dupont Circle area offers familiar comforts for some students, as well as some of the one-of-a-kind experiences that make the neighborhood so distinctive.

For the hungry and adventuresome, there are many other dining options in the area, including Teaism, which serves tasty Japanese meals in authentic Bento boxes, Nora, known for gourmet (and expensive) organic cuisine, and Sakana, a tiny, sub-street level dive with some of the best-priced sushi in the District. For dessert, duck into Larry's Ice Cream for a cheap scoop served by Larry himself.

Dupont also has some unique opportunities to drop some cash.

There are several independent shoe and boutique clothing stores, like Betsy Fisher, as well as chain stores such as Ann Taylor, which can be a bit pricey for the average college budget.

The area has more than a dozen art galleries and more bookstores than you can count on one hand. Melody Records and Kemp Hill Music offer an incredible selection of music, and Phantasmagoria sells used recordd and vinyls.

So whether you're in the mood to bead, eat, read, or just sit and play a game of chess in the circle, Dupont Circle is your stop.

Libation Establishments

The Big Hunt 1345 Connecticut Ave. NW This bar caters to a 21-and-over college crowd, and bills itself as the "Home of 27 taps". There are specials every day, including happy hour Monday to Friday from 4-7 p.m., Monday-Thursday food specials (like 15-cent wings), and Karaoke Tuesdays. The price range is relatively low, with most of the entertainment happening for less than $15. For those looking for an adventure in clairvoyance Psychic and Palm Readings by Christine is offered next door.

Heritage India Brassiere 1337 Connecticut Ave. NW This "Brasserie and Lounge" is open until 2:30 a.m. on weekends and has happy hour on weekdays from 5-7 p.m. The restaurant offers small plates of authentic Indian cuisine, including samosas, pakoras, kebabs and hummus. For added flair, Kama Sutra images adorn the bathroom. It is rated one of the "100 Very Best" by the Washingtonian Online.

MCCXXIII 1223 Connecticut Ave. NW This club is a staple amongst first-year college students with great fake IDs. Every Friday night, $10 admission gives you all-night access to the bar. Famous DJs guest-spin there frequently, and rumor has it that Justin Timberlake has hit up the club at least once. Dress nicely, as baggy jeans, sneakers and Timberlands are not allowed. For those who really want to blow up, you can call ahead and reserve a table.

Lucky Bar 1221 Connecticut Ave. NW Monday night is Latin Night at Lucky Bar, and it is quite the experience for even seasoned salsa dancers. Instead of feeling like a typical hot, sweaty, overcrowded Dupont bar, Latin night feels like a step back into 1950s Havana. With the fans whirling and the salsa, merengue and cumbia blasting, gentlemen will actually walk over to women standing on the sides of the dance floor and ask them if they would like to dance. Imagine that! No coming up from behind and grinding anonymously here, ladies. A welcome respite from the constant molestation that is clubbing, Lucky Bar's Latin Night is the place to go to show off some booty-shaking skills or learn from the masters.

Dining Establishments

Caf? Citron 1343 Connecticute Ave. NW This restaurant is open from 10 a.m. to midnight daily, and offers live music along with South American food with a modern twist. There is live, popular Brazilian music Mondays from 8 p.m. to midnight, with food served until the band finishes. Tuesdays from 8:30 to midnight live salsa and Latin music is offered, and there are salsa lessons on Wednesdays.

Julia's Empanadas 1221 Connecticut Ave. NW, No. 1410 This tiny storefront empanada shop may not look like much, but inside it has a wide selection of traditional and dessert empanadas, a type of Latin American pastry with a meat or vegetable filling. There are no chairs or tables inside, but who cares if you have to eat it with your hands sitting outside on a bench next to a homeless guy? The empanadas are hot, meaty, flaky and delicious, and at $3.50 a pop, are a great deal.

Caf? Japone 2032 P St., NW This eclectic restaurant offers everything from sushi to French fusion food to karaoke. While the inside can be dark and crowded, Caf? Japone's multiple levels offer a break for those who don't like to be packed into one area. Karaoke's on the top level and can get packed quickly, so come early if you want to have fun.

Retail Establishments

Second Story Books 2000 P St. NW This used-books store near the circle has a somewhat unorganized collection of inexpensive old books. While you won't find a recent best seller here, there are books for every taste. There are also vintage posters (if you're willing to drop $100 for a yellowing Russian pop-group poster from the Communist era), and a modest collection of old LPs available at reasonable prices ($6 to $10 each).

Himalayan House 1319 Connecticut Ave. NW This ethnic shop offers handmade goods, most of which are imported from Nepal, at prices ranging from inexpensive ($12 for pendants) to extravagant (a medicine chakra figure on sale for $207). Their products include incense, handicrafts, prayer flags, pendants, figurines and jewelry. One of the store's best sellers is a "Shiva mouse pad" ($9).

Beadazzled 1507 Connecticut Ave. NW This small shop is a craft-lover's paradise. Upon entering the store, you'll find every size, style and color bead imaginable made from various materials and from all different countries, as well as affordable beading supplies. The store sells ethnic clothes and books and offers beading classes, as well as its own array of ready-made earthy jewelry. "It's a totally unique place that isn't commercialized or streamlined," said Katie Maxwell, a freshman in the School of International Service. "They have really unique beads and everything you could need to make some awesome jewelry. Plus the staff knows a lot about making beaded jewelry and is glad to help anyone out if they're not quite sure what they're doing"