AU runners come up big in New York

School and personal records were smashed last weekend as AU's Indoor Track and Field teams had strong showings in two national events, the teams' last competition before the Patriot League Championships.

In the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York, senior Sean Duffy made history in the men's 3,000-meter, finishing fourth with a time of 8:02.20, breaking the 20-year-old school record in the event by nine seconds.

Also, junior Keira Carlstrom finished first in the 3,000-meter with a time of 9:17.96, breaking her own school record by almost 26 seconds. She was named PL Player of the Week, and days later she was chosen as the PL Scholar-Athlete of the Year for cross-country.

"Our performance this weekend was the best for our indoor season," said head coach Matt Centrowitz. "We were poised to do well and look forward to the Patriot League Indoor Championships."

Freshman Stephen Hallinan got the men's only victory at the invitational, winning the mile-run with a time of 4:09.91, a personal best. It was Hallinan's third mile-run win in as many tries. He earned his first indoor PL Player of the Week award.

In the 5,000-meter, junior Phil Gaeta was the runner-up and sophomore Dustin Emrani placed fourth as they ran their best-ever times.

In the 3,000-meter, senior Pat McAdie finished 18th and sophomore Conor Lanz 24th as they also achieved personal records.

The Eagles also won their only competition at the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden, as Emrani, Gaeta, sophomore Alex Caudana and freshman Brian McCabe took the 4x800-meter relay.

The teams finish the indoor season next weekend at the conference championships in Bethlehem, Pa. Last year the men placed fourth and the women fifth. Despite not competing in all events due to their small sizes, the squads placed ahead of larger teams by good finishes in track events.