And the Oscar goes to...

Who could, should and will win this year

As the Oscars approach Sunday, all the speculation from the past year comes to the forefront. To some, the Oscars are awarded on buzz, not quality, and are essentially an exercise in purely missing the point. But regardless, even the most cynical movie buff can get swept up in the pure pleasure of guessing right. All I know is, if "Shrek 2" beats "The Incredibles" for Best Animated Feature, it will be an error so egregious, it will eliminate what little faith I have left in this system of honoring artistic achievement.

Best Picture

What Will Win: "Million Dollar Baby"

Although it seems that "The Aviator" is an epic ripe for Oscar success, it has lost some serious steam since the nominations were announced, as "Baby" has been continuing to gain momentum.

What Should Win: "Sideways"

"Sideways" is the token "indie film" out of the five nominees, but it would be great to see a more humble and less over-dramatic film take the top prize.

What's Missing: "The Incredibles"

In 1991, "Beauty and the Beast" was the last animated film to be nominated for Best Picture and the Academy needs to not overlook excellent animated films for awards. "The Incredibles" is more than deserving of the nomination, and the Academy has yet to recognize the brilliance of Pixar outside of the pigeonholed category of animation.

Best Director

Who Will Win: Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"

It would take a "Lord of the Rings Part 4" to deny Eastwood his Oscar, which means...

Who Should Win: Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"

Scorsese loses again! Say it ain't so, but better luck next year Marty. Maybe next time don't cast DiCaprio.

Who's Missing: Michel Gondry, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

While Charlie Kaufman's brilliant screenplay is deservingly applauded, Gondry's unique direction that brings to life Kaufman's tale is deserving of attention as well.

Best Actor

Who Will Win: Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

You can pretty much bet the house on this one.

Who Should Win: Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

So after all the hype, Foxx's performance is still incredible. Too bad his movie is anything but.

Who's Missing: Paul Giamatti, "Sideways"

Two years in a row Paul Giamatti delivers a fantastic performance and still gets no Oscar "respek."

Best Actress

Who Will Win: Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"

This one's almost as sure as Jamie Foxx for Best Actor. Too bad the main acting races are not very interesting.

Who Should Win: Catalina Sandino Moreno, "Maria Full of Grace"

I was very pleased she was nominated and would flip out if she won. Moreno's wonderful performance is the anchor of an excellent film.

Who's Missing: Zhang Ziyi, "House of Flying Daggers"

Ziyi's a vastly underrated actress, and her film, Zhang Yimou's "House of Flying Daggers" is equally underrated, and far better than Yimou's other 2004 film, "Hero."

Best Supporting Actor

Who Will Win: Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby"

Are you noticing a theme here? "Million Dollar Baby" is going to take most of the top categories, despite "The Aviator"'s strong opening by capturing technical awards.

Who Should Win: Thomas Haden Church, "Sideways"

The ensemble cast of "Sideways" was the best of the year, and the hilarious Church was the surprise.

Who's Missing: David Carradine, "Kill Bill: Vol. 2"

Tarantino's grindhouse double feature didn't receive any recognition from the Academy, but Carradine as the titular Bill deserves a nod.

Best Supporting Actress

Who Will Win: Virginia Madsen, "Sideways"

So, this is an interesting pick because the odds are not in her favor. With Natalie Portman and Cate Blanchett being the two front-runners, this is the spot for the surprise win of the night.

Who Should Win: Virginia Madsen, "Sideways"

That, and she deserves it.

Who's Missing: Sandra Oh, "Sideways"

The Academy isn't really justified in recognizing Church and Madsen and not Sandra Oh.

Oscar-winning prof. shares Academy thoughts

School of Communication professor Russell Williams was the first African-American to win two Academy Awards, for his sound work in "Glory" (1989) and "Dances with Wolves" (1990). A voting member of the Academy, Williams shared some of his thoughts on the nominees before he jetted off to Los Angeles to attend the ceremony:

Who Will Win: "I haven't seen all the Leading Actress nominated films or performances, [but] it's hard to imagine Hilary Swank not walking away with another statuette, for 'Million Dollar Baby,'" Williams said. Who Will Miss Out: "Even though I was very happy with Clint Eastwood's performance in 'Million Dollar Baby,' it really moved Paul Giamatti out of the running for Actor in a Leading Role for his wonderful performance in 'Sideways,'" Williams said. Although Jamie Foxx has a lot of energy and momentum behind him for "Ray," Williams thinks Don Cheadle will win for "Hotel Rwanda." "I was disappointed that 'Hotel Rwanda' was not nominated for Best Picture," he said.

-MEGAN SLACK