It's all Greek ... at AU and in movies

Scroll down for The Scene's list of greek life landmarks in cinema.

Greek recruitment, which begins Friday, provides students with an opportunity to get involved with AU's fraternities and sororities. While many students partake in these activities, not everyone chooses to participate in recruitment.

In fact, AU has fewer sororities and fraternities than other schools in the area, including University of Maryland-College Park and George Washington University. UMD has 63 National Interfraternity Conference and Panhellenic Council fraternities and sororities, and GWU has 28. AU, in comparison, has 22 IFC and Panhellenic organizations.

This lower count may in part be due to mixed student opinions regarding greek life.

"Some people not in the greek community tend to only see one side of it, so those people tend to dislike the whole scene," said Jenny Agopsowicz, a senior in Phi Sigma Sigma. But most people "don't really have a clue" about what the greek community can offer, she said.

Agopsowicz, who pledged Phi Sigma Sigma her sophomore year, said her experience has "been amazing."

"I made so many great friends through it and learned a lot from it," Agopsowicz said. "I think it has added so much to my college experience."

But some students not affiliated with greek life see certain drawbacks.

"It seems that when you join a frat, you not only gain a group of 'brothers,' but also a rival frat of enemies in many cases," said junior Michael Dickel.

There are other reasons Dickel did not pledge a fraternity.

"The mystique of fraternities has gone by the wayside," he said. "Also, there's too much inter-fraternity drama that I can do without."

Dickel also said the issues of "high dues [and] the perception of buying one's friends" may play into a student's negative view of greek life.

However, greek life at AU is not only social. Fraternity Alpha Phi Omega draws in students who are interested in community service.

Senior Olivia Clayton sees both negative and positive aspects of the greek system.

"I think that it's a great thing for some people," Clayton said. "It can provide people with a great way to meet other people with similar interests."

On the other hand, "you get kind of clumped into this group, and I think a lot of people get comfortable there and don't really make an effort to make friends outside of that group," she said.

To senior Rochelle Kleter, the president of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, being greek doesn't have to consume a student's life.

"Those who have no desire to be greek probably think we're a small voice on campus," she said, "but those who are greek know that we are well-rounded individuals who not only belong to Panhellenic and the National Interfraternity Council, but to other organizations as well."

Kleter said that one reason fraternities and sororities don't have as large a presence on campus could be due to the lack of on-campus housing for greeks.

"I think we are truly at a disadvantage because we are not permitted greek houses," she said. "That really takes away from the 'greek feel' to our school."

Not everyone involved with greek life has had a positive experience. Mitchell Kannry, a senior in Alpha Sigma Phi, said that greeks bring negative reputations on themselves.

"I think [students] perceive [fraternities and sororities] as a little clique that annoys the shit out of everyone else," Kannry said, because "[greeks] think their organizations are the best thing since sliced bread, and [members] have no problem telling you that."

Kannry said he doesn't recommend students join a fraternity or sorority, "but sometimes people have to realize for themselves how much things suck."

For Kleter, joining a sorority can only add to the college experience.

"Being greek at AU probably won't make or break your college career, but it certainly will add to your fondest memories," Kleter said.

Greek Life on Screen Greek life may not be huge on AU's campus but it remains popular on the silver screen. Here's a list of the Scene's favorite greek life flicks. Relish the fact that we don't have frat houses on campus.

1. "Animal House," (1978) The quintessential frat flick, complete with Jack Daniels and barnyard animals. Starring John Belushi, this movie spawned every male college student's potential room decor - the iconic "college" sweatshirt-clad coed poster. This is the movie your father watched when he was in college and still remembers enough to warn you about the dangers of toga parties. You will never have it this good.

2. "Legally Blonde," (2001) A sorority girl obsessed with pink gets into Harvard Law by the skin of her...teeth. A pseudo-attempt at neo-feminism, "Legally Blonde" tries to empower this blonde, Chihuahua-toting, card-carrying Delta Nu protagonist into using her wits to win powerful cases. Reese Witherspoon stars as the token female forced to prove her intelligence despite her hair color. Heaven help her if she uses her knowledge of the law to win a case!

3. "Sorority House Massacre," (1987) If anyone has been inside a sorority house, you know that one of them is doomed to be slaughtered by one of the sisters' crazed asylum escapee brothers. But not before the girls run around topless for no less than 15 minutes! A seminal movie depicting the typical sorority experience.

4. "Revenge of the Nerds," (1984) Nerds can never be cool and this movie asserts that in all its cinematic glory. Never before have two subcultures been so accurately portrayed than the academic elite and athletically inclined at fictional Adams College. But alas, when the eternally doomed faction of Nerds attempts to cross that societal boundary, hi-jinks ensue! But in reality, we all know that smart people can never win, right? Not even when they play a righteous New Wave, synthesized musical number at the end.

5. "PCU," (1994) If "Animal House" were set in the early '90s and starred Jeremy Piven, the world would call it "PCU" and it would be good. Again, you will never have it this good, and if you know anyone who does, chances are they're lying or go to Cal State Long Beach.

- Blair Payne, Crista Scaturro and Jen Turner