'Hide,' don't 'seek' out this film

When it comes to suspense movies, "Hide and Seek" falls short of expectations in terms of shock value. Despite some surprises, the movie is slow and directionless, contrary to the perception that it's a supernatural thriller.

Robert DeNiro plays New York psychologist David Callaway. He and his young daughter, Emily (Dakota Fanning), move from Manhattan to the upstate town of Woodland after the death of his wife Allison (Amy Irving). Emily exhibits strange behavior, which is attributed to her new imaginary friend, Charlie. But there's more to Charlie than meets the eye. Or is there? The question comes up in the movie over and over.

Character-wise, Fanning really stands out as a sullen, traumatized girl who appears to have a connection to the occurrences that go on in the family's house. In addition, she has fits of being somewhat crazy. Her character, however, relates to the slowness of the whole movie. The setup suggests that a ghost is Emily's friend. However, there are so many possible explanations to account for Charlie's identity, the suspense is lost.

In addition, the end of the movie still leaves audiences wondering if Charlie was who he was, real or not.

Another hindrance to this movie is DeNiro's performance as the psychologist and father. He tries to use his psychological skills to figure out what's wrong with Emily. Nobody wants to hear lots of scientific facts in a suspense film.

Don't get too caught up with "Hide and Seek." Watch it definitely because of Dakota Fanning. Her's is the only role that has any real power. DeNiro may have had a lot of years in acting, but his role in this movie is not one of his best.