Bush speech dubbed 'historic'

George Walker Bush was sworn in Thursday afternoon for his second term as the 43rd president of the United States, giving a speech that an AU professor has called "historic" in its foreign policy focus.

The 55th presidential inauguration, organized by the Presidential Inauguration Committee, followed the traditional schedule, with Bush sworn in after Vice President Dick Cheney.

Democrats and Republicans came to the ceremony, including former presidents Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter. Former presidential and vice presidential candidates Sen. John Kerry and former Sen. John Edwards also attended.

Sen. Trent Lott called the ceremony to order and delivered welcoming remarks, describing the inauguration as the "culmination of the democratic process." The Rev. Luis Leon led the invocation, inviting the nation to pray together. Leon's prayer was followed by Susan Graham, a mezzo-soprano, singing "Bless This House." House Speaker Dennis Hastert administered Cheney's oath first. Cheney's wife, Lynne, and his daughters, Mary and Elizabeth, swearing on the family Bible, surrounded him.

Denyce Graves, another mezzo-soprano, sang "An American Anthem" before Bush took his oath.

William Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States, administered the 35-word oath to Bush just before noon, a few minutes ahead of the scheduled delivery, also swearing on a family Bible.

The president delivered a 17-minute inaugural speech, emphasizing liberty and freedom both domestically and internationally.

"We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands," he said, addressing threats on freedom made in the 9/11 attacks. "The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world."

He defended the actions taken in Iraq, saying: "America will not impose our own style of government on the unwilling. Our goal, instead, is to help others find their own voice, attain their own freedom and make their own way."

He referred to leaders of oppressive governments, threatening that "the rulers of outlaw regimes can know that we still believe as Abraham Lincoln did, 'Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it.'"

Bush also acknowledged those who had served in the military and those who lost their lives defending liberty at home and overseas.

Stephen Taylor, associate government professor in the School of Public Affairs, said that Bush's address outlined an "activist foreign policy, which will be considered historic."

Toward the close of the address, Bush mentioned reforming the education system and creating an "ownership society." He again emphasized freedom, saying, "We will widen the ownership of homes and businesses, retirement savings and health insurance, preparing our people for the challenges of life in a free society."

Taylor said that although the speech was "well-written and well-practiced," some of Bush's supporters on the evangelical right "might feel that their concerns weren't addressed." He added that though they would probably be disappointed with some issues, they would still be generally pleased with the president's speech.

Following the speech, which was met with applause and some booing, military bands played a musical selection, which was followed by the benediction by Pastor Kirby Jon Caldwell.

The ceremony ended with the playing of the national anthem.