A look at upcoming spring arts events around D.C.

As shorter days and low temperatures begin to take their toll on a college student's already fragile psyche, there are few activities that can offer a respite from the dorms while still avoiding both movement and the outdoors. Well, worry no more! This semester, there are plenty of ways to be entertained while maintaining both laziness and warmth. Here are a few plays, exhibitions and performances coming up this semester:.

National Academy of Sciences: "Visionary Anatomies" Runs through May 20 The exhibition that features artists who use anatomical imagery to convey their artistic visions. If nothing else, this should prove to be interesting and surely unique. For further details, go to www7.nationalacademies.org/arts.

Inter-American Development Bank Cultural Center:

II Inter-American Biennial of Video Art Mon-Thur, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. through Jan. 28 This is a presentation of the winning entries in the IDB competition for video artists whose focus is economic and social climates in Latin America. Admission is free, and the exhibit is sure to interest those who appreciate art, film, politics, or social justice. For more information, log onto www.iadb.org/cultural. Arena Stage:

"Intimations for Saxophone" Jan. 21 - Feb. 27 This recently discovered and never produced play by Sophie Treadwell centers on a woman's reaction to the sexual revolution. Director Anne Bogart lends her much-lauded hand to the drama. For more information on both productions, go to www.arenastage.org

"Hallelujah, baby!" Runs through Feb.13 This musical tour follows through the first 60 years of the 20th century, as experienced by a maid named Georgina who struggles to make her way to the stage. Legendary director Arthur Laurents is at the helm of this production and has been receiving rave reviews for his work.

Charter Theatre:

"Sacred Cows" Runs through Jan. 30 "Sacred Crows" is a two-man show that satirizes nearly every aspect of religion in America. Given the context of the "red states vs. blue states" dilemma, this should prove a thought-provoking and funny examination of the state of the union. For more information, log onto www.chartertheatre.org

Kennedy Center:

"Shear Madness" On-going, Tue.-Thur. 8 p.m.; Fri. 9 p.m.; Sat. 6 and 9 p.m.; Sun. 3:30 and 7 p.m. This show has been running for over 17 years. The draw to this production is two-fold: One, it's unique structure allows the audience to decide how the story will end (thus keeping it new and different for each performance); Two, the relatively cheap ticket price of $34 ensures it's accessible to a wide audience. For more information, click on www.kennedy-center.org Signature Theatre:

"Fallen from Proust" Runs through Feb. 20 "Proust" is the story of a young red-state conservative thirty-something navigating the deep, blue ocean that is the heart of liberal San Francisco. The latest from local playwright Norman Allen in its premiere at the signature theatre, "Proust's: timeliness is sure to tickle the funny bone of both conservatives and liberals who followed the presidential election. For more information, go to www.sig-online.org.