'90s Flashback

The era of the Macarena was da bomb

If a recent party hosted by AU students says anything, the '90s are definitely making a comeback.

Guests sucked on Jolly Ranchers and nursed wine coolers while listening to the hottest tracks by Lou Bega and the Offspring. Several students snacked on Dunkaroos and stood in deep thought over a shrine dedicated to Kurt Cobain. Others danced side by side to the "Macarena," while a couple joined in an embrace during the "Titanic" theme song, "My Heart Will Go On."

It was a sign to throw out those leg warmers and hair crimpers you bought during the '80s revival - the '90s are back.

But is it too early to bring back a decade that only ended five years ago?

VH1 doesn't seem to think so. The station's latest installment of "I Love the 90s" continues where the first season of the program left off: various celebrities reminisce about the ups and downs of pop culture in the not-so distant decade.

The "I Love the 90s" series attempts to follow up on the success of VH1's hit series "I Love the 80s," which also examined pop culture trends in the decadent decade.

The show has already caught on at AU, but not everyone is as eager to embrace '90s trends as they were to bring back the '80s.

"I think it's too soon to bring back the '90s, but everyone I know watches the show because we love to think back to something we can relate to," said Deanna Muldoon, a senior in the Kogod School of Business. "We loved the '80s show [on VH1], but with the '90s show we can better relate."

Other students have no problem with VH1's embracing of such a recent decade.

"It's never too soon to make fun of pop culture and irritating trends," said Shayna Packer, a junior in the School of International Service.

"I Love the 90s: Part Deux" is composed of hour-long episodes. Each show is a tongue-in-cheek look back at a different year in the 1990s. Topics range from Chris Farley's death to Tom Green to the Unabomber.

This light-hearted examination of trends has caused some to look back fondly - and in some cases, look back in shame - at '90s fads.

"I liked Crystal Pepsi," Packer said, referring to the short-lived Pepsi creation from the early '90s.

Packer, however, cringes at some other trends.

"My least favorite trend was those electronic pet things [Tamagotchis] because I could never keep mine alive," she said. "I just didn't have the dedication."

Others voiced their concern over fashion trends.

"I hated those spandex pants with stirrups," Muldoon said. "They were horrible."

While the '90s are making a comeback, at least on VH1, some students said they were oblivious to the revival.

"I don't know if it's too soon to bring back the '90s," said Rachel Burstein, a senior in the School of Communication, "because I didn't even know they were making a comeback."

Despite her unawareness, Burstein still remembered her favorite things from the '90s.

"I loved 'Beverly Hills, 90210,'" she said. "Every Wednesday night I'd have a party and invite my best friends over to watch the newest episode."

Whether or not the public embraces the '90s doesn't seem to matter - VH1 is intent on forcing the decade back into style with its series. For a further look into the best and worst of the '90s, see the sidebars.