Ted Leo and the Pharmacists 'shake' up the Black Cat

New Jersey-based rockers Ted Leo and the Pharmacists are finally being rewarded for years of relentless touring and little recognition. Wednesday night at the Black Cat, the band played to an energetic, sold-out crowd of college students, rowdy high schoolers and aging hipsters who all seemed to come to the general consensus that Ted Leo really, really rocks.

Not only does he rock, he's pretty damn funny. Leo is so nondescript looking, he doesn't even look like he has a sense of humor, but he kept the crowd entertained with his self-deprecating, sarcastic wit.

But between cracking jokes about boozing between encores and hazings at Montclair State University, Leo managed to rip through a fast-paced set that included old favorites like "Where Have all the Rude Boys Gone?" and "The High Party," while also incorporating songs from his new album "Shake the Sheets."

Leo falls into the category of singers cum political advocates, but he's not annoying like, say, the Dixie Chicks. When introducing "I'm a Ghost," a politically themed song, Leo recanted a letter he received from a fan that asked if the song was about a ghostly toaster oven. "It probably should have been about that," he said, but instead it's about political apathy.

Opening bands Mary Timony and Washington Social Club provided equally vigorous sets. Timony, already fairly well known for her work with Autoclave and Helium, has ventured out with a solo career and is proving herself to be a formidable talent. Innocently cute in a red and black polka dot shirt and pigtails, Timony's music reflected anything but that - her harsh guitar and raw vocals played well off of her demure appearance.

The Washington Social Club - led by wine store worker by day, up-and-coming rock star by night Martin Royle - played an upbeat set to a receptive audience. The local band, who recently played the CMJ Music Marathon in New York City, were at ease in their hometown, cracking jokes about various local establishments.

If the two sold-out, back-to-back nights at the Black Cat and the devoted fan base that attended both shows signifies things to come, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists have a lot to look forward to.