P. Diddy's got nothing on AU's choral ensembles

Many college students are probably familiar with Carl Orff's magnificent opus "Carmina Burana" without even realizing it. The opening piece "O Fortuna" sounds suspiciously like the back beat in Nas and P. Diddy's monster hit "Hate Me Now." Saturday in Kay Spiritual Life Center, the AU choral ensembles stuck with tradition as they performed this and the other 23 pieces of "Carmina Burana" as conducted by Daniel Abraham, assistant professor and program director in the Department of Performing Arts.

The performance - which featured two pianists, five percussionists and the Children's Chorus of Washington - provided a showcase for the phenomenal talent of both the University Chorus and Chamber Singers. Reflective of both excellent direction and abundant talent, as the groups sang, there was no one voice audible above the rest; their voices all blended seamlessly together as one. The cantata, which is based on several poems, is written in somewhat mangled versions of Latin and early German, making it a challenging piece to perform. Both vocal groups more than exceeded the challenge, however, and elevated "Carmina Burana" to the grandiose level at which it belongs.

Also essential to the strength of the performance were the three vocal soloists. Lisa Eden, Douglas Bowles and Darren Perry are all extremely sought after Washington-area performers whose skills are overwhelming. Their performances truly brought life and form to Orff's work. They were supported beautifully by the choral ensembles, accompanists and the Children's Chorus. The final piece, a reprise of "O Fortuna," was nothing short of brilliant. It is clear that there is no shortage of talent in the university's community and performing arts department.