'SpongeBob' soaks up the sea with David Hasselhoff

In a long list of movies based on Nickelodeon cartoons like "Rugrats," "Jimmy Neutron" and "The Wild Thornberrys," it's no surprise that "SpongeBob Squarepants" would join the list. From the late 1990s up to today, all of these shows have all made their way on the silver screen.

"The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" has our yellow absorbable friend in his first movie, along with all his friends from the TV show, including Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Sandy. The movie also features new characters as SpongeBob has another adventure under the sea.

Our story begins with a live-action sequence during which pirates find tickets to the movie in a treasure chest recovered at sea. They then go into a theater, and the story actually starts there. There's symmetry for you.

From there, we enter the town of Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob is a fry cook at the Krusty Krab and he dreams of being promoted to manager of the Krusty Krab's brand new location. However, he doesn't get the job because the owner, Mr. Krabs, considers him only "a kid," and doesn't feel he can handle the responsibilities of running the place.

The brand new Krusty Krab 2 is right next door to the original. Across from the Krusty Krab resides the fiendish Plankton, who owns the Chum Bucket and wants to steal Mr. Krabs' secret recipe for his hot-selling Krabby Paddies.

So Plankton steals the crown of King Neptune, the royal ruler of the sea, which is used to cover his bald head. Then Plankton convinces the king the culprit was Mr. Krabs. In order to save his boss, SpongeBob must retrieve the crown. The only problem is that the crown is in Shell City. Getting there would mean certain doom, but not for SpongeBob SquarePants. So he and his best friend Patrick go on an underwater journey to retrieve the crown before King Neptune blows Mr. Krabs into oblivion.

"The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" offers a blend of live action and animation, but the majority of the film is animated. This merging works fine, even though it does not fall into the same category as movies that incorporated computer-generated technology like "The Incredibles" or "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow."

Stephen Hillenberg co-directed and wrote the movie and also developed the TV show. The film is essentially an extended version of a 30-minute episode. It is as if he took an episode and fleshed it out by adding more obstacles and dialogue to make it feature length. So the plot could have been condensed to the length of a "SpongeBob" episode.

Even though this is a children's movie, young adults will also find the movie very interesting. There are scenes that could be taken in the context of an adult mind. For instance, when SpongeBob loses his job, he eats lots of ice cream with Patrick. Afterward, it seems like the two woke up from a night of heavy drinking because they look terrible.

The only character that really stuck out in the movie was King Neptune's daughter Princess Mindy (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). She is a mermaid, but seems more than that. She's like a more mature Ariel from "The Little Mermaid." Mindy acts so wise and tough and guides SpongeBob and Patrick through their adventure. More than that, she tries so hard to get through to her father, King Neptune, almost to the point of defying him. She seems to be the only serious character of the film.

Also, the cameo appearance from Baywatch's David Hasselhoff was terrific. What he does with his body will have you talking for weeks.

Much of the movie focuses on SpongeBob and Patrick's journey. They encounter several wacky side trips, each more funny than the last. It also focuses on SpongeBob himself. He discovers what it means to be a kid and a grown-up. This is cleverly hidden within the film, but it's there.

At the end, the movie is relaxing. If you had a stressful day and need a laugh or two, then "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" is the movie for you. Each scene guarantees laughter capable of uplifting your mood. It will sweep your mind of all your troubles. If you want to watch a film that challenges your beliefs and traditional values, this isn't it. "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" is a must-see for all.