Forget Zogby, predict the presidency with gas and masks

Who needs polls when you have infallible election predictors? As the election nears, The Eagle takes a look at some of the best:

1. Pigskin Forecast.

If the Washington Redskins win the week of the election, this means a win for the incumbent. This has held true since 1936. The Packers beat the Skins, 28 - 14, yesterday. Does this mean Kerry's electoral pull will be double Bush's?

2. Height Index.

Since the advent of television in presidential races, the taller candidate has won every race except one. In 1976, 5-foot-9-inch Jimmy Carter toppled Gerald Ford, a former football player who stood at 6 feet 2 inches. Al Gore was taller than Bush, won the popular vote, but lost the electoral vote. Kerry is 6 feet 5 inches and President Bush is 6 feet 1 inch.

3. Iowa Elections Market.

Is betting on the stock market the same as betting on politics? Perhaps, according to Intrade.com and the Iowa Elections Market at the University of Iowa. Thousands of people place money on which candidate they think will win. Currently, the candidates are even at 50 percent each.

3. Gas-o-meter.

If the number of gallons of gasoline the average consumer can buy goes up during a president's term, the incumbent will get re-elected 100 percent of the time. If it decreases, the challenger wins. During Bush's tenure, the amount has gone down 1300 gallons, according to DailyKos.com.

4. Mask Gauge.

Mask sales have picked the winner of every presidential election since 1980, according to BuyCostumes.com. The most purchased candidate's mask reveals the winner of the election. Bush masks have been outselling Kerry's so far this year, 57 percent to 43 percent, according to the latest tally by BuyCostumes.com.

5. Lichtman's 13 Keys.

AU history professor Allan Lichtman's says that his "13 Keys" have accurately predicted every election since 1860. Though the keys are open to interpretation, he says they point toward Bush winning.