DC's unbroken Social scene

Martin Royale, lead singer of D.C.'s own Washington Social Club, gives his thoughts on Britney Spears, D.C.'s music scene and smoking weed in a question-and-answer session recently conducted over e-mail.

The Eagle: What song do you wish you had written?

Martin Royale: Britney Spears' "Toxic"

Eagle: Would you rather play a show every night for the rest of your life or never play another show again?

MR: Do I get a soundcheck? Let's say every night.

Eagle: Would you rather be stuck in an elevator with Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?

MR: Christina, better chance of actually getting laid. Although with Britney we could sing "Toxic" together, I love that tune.

Eagle: What's the best comparison to another band that you guys have gotten?

MR: Some writer said I sounded like Rodney Anonymous from the Dead Milk Men. Bitchin' Camaro!

Eagle: If you could only listen to one CD for the rest of your life, what would it be?

MR: Oasis, "What's the Story (Morning Glory)?"

Eagle: What is your favorite WSC song to play live?

MR: "Charlie the Russian"

Eagle: Do you have a motto?

MR: "If she keeps telling you she's 18, she's not 18." Here's another one: "Life is pain, anyone who says differently is selling something."

Eagle: What's your favorite D.C. band right now?

MR: I like Army of Me, the Carlsonics rock it out, and I've heard The Fallen One are pretty cool. As for a favorite, I'm still waiting to hear the band that shocks everybody and changes the complexion of the town's music.

Eagle: If you could only play in one venue in D.C. ever again, which one would you pick?

MR: You know, I like them all, but I'll go with the 9:30 club because the staff is so nice to you, and Gus is the man. They are also chill about the artists partying after the shows. Some clubs around here are waaaay too strict about that.

Eagle: What's your favorite place in D.C. to get drunk?

MR: My couch seems to be my current favorite. I like the Townhall in College Park, [Md.,] and boy, DC9 will get you drunk. Great jukebox.

Eagle: What is one thing everyone should know about WSC, but probably doesn't?

MR: I don't know what people don't know, but I will say this: There's this impression that we're cutesy, nice, sweet and dorky, and that needs to stop. Let me go on the record as saying that the Washington Social Club is comprised of four perverted drunks who were high when they wrote this, and will be even higher when you read it. Now if you'll excuse me, Olivia, Evan and Randy are coming over to watch the new Care Bears movie, "Care Bears in Perilous Danger."

Eagle: The Clash or the Cure?

MR: The Cure, 10 times out of 10. You know, I did some pretty hard drugs with Robert Smith. He really hated me. I think he actually called me a "little twerp" or something. Talk about a weird night.

Eagle: What do you hate most about D.C.? What do you love most?

MR: You know what I hate about D.C., how f-ing scared everyone is of authority. It's ridiculous. And D.C. hipsters need to lighten up. You could prescribe Ecstasy to the entire 202 area code. What I love about D.C. is how the tension in the town will push people to really lose their minds at shows. This is a really good town for rock 'n' roll.

Eagle: What question are you really glad I didn't ask?

MR: The D.C. scene question. You know, "How does the Dischord scene blah blah blah Fugazi blah blah blah?"

Eagle: What question do you wish I had asked because you have a really clever response for it?

MR: Do you want my number?

Eagle: What do you miss most about home when you are on tour?

MR: Nothing really, I love touring. I miss the woods in Pennsylvania sometimes and the quiet. And my mom, she's nice.

Eagle: What's the strangest thing you have ever put on your rider?

MR: For some reason, when I read that question, I read it, "What's the strangest thing you ever put up your ass?" That's a better question. There's nothing weird about our rider, but I put Noel Gallagher on our guest list a lot as a joke. Are you out there Noel? You're on every list, man.

Eagle: What city that you have played in do you hope you never have to go back to?

MR: Well, if I'm playing every night from now on I don't think I can be that picky. But just for fun, let's pretend Eugene, Ore., never happened.

Eagle: And, for the sake of your virgin fans, how did you get the name Washington Social Club?

MR: After the Warped Tour, we might actually have some virgin fans. None at AU though. Anyway, once and for all, the name Washington Social Club came from an unfortunate incident at the Washington Sports Club where I was ejected from the premises for smoking weed. The name popped into my head as I was walking away down Connecticut Avenue thinking about how the stoners needed a club too.

Washington Social Club will play the Black Cat Friday night with Two if by Sea and the Volunteers. Tickets are $7.