'Boondock Saints' writer-director is 'Overnight' egomaniac

How is the universe functioning without Troy Duffy explaining everyone's role to us in every moment of every day? Troy Duffy asks himself that question a million times a day. The real question is: Who the hell is Troy Duffy?

Troy Duffy is the writer and director of the high school home video cult favorite movie "The Boondock Saints," which is about two brothers from Boston who take Providence into their own hands and start killing mafia guys. The movie is nothing too spectacular, but a lot of people seem to like it, myself included. But don't tell Troy Duffy that.

"Overnight" is a documentary that catalogs the making of the monster that is Troy Duffy, who went from being a blue collar bartender to the talk of Hollywood seemingly "overnight." When Miramax first bought his script for "The Boondock Saints" in 1997, there was a big hubbub surrounding Duffy because he was the typical Johnny Nobody who moved to Hollywood and made it big. However, what Troy and his buddies didn't realize was that in Hollywood, celebrity status is fleeting.

In the first 15 minutes of "Overnight," one assumes that Troy is just a self-centered, irritable creative genius. The following hour eliminates all positive regard and respect for the man. He attempts to control the world around him as his movie continually gets declined and delayed and his band does not get signed.

"Overnight" is not just a documentary; it's stress in visual form. For anyone who enjoyed "Boondock Saints" and wants to learn more about the film, this movie won't help, as there are only about five minutes of footage with actors Willem Dafoe and Bill Connolly. The majority of the film is absorbed by Duffy's egomaniacal behavior and footage of the Brood, his band. For anyone who enjoys being irritated by documentation of the existence of idiotic, self-centered lunatics, this movie is for you. Watching Troy Duffy chain smoke cigarettes, drink himself stupid and wear the same pair of overalls with his own band's T-shirt and hat (at the same time!) - all while never shaving - is a sight that can be avoided if you're smart or lucky.

The only solace comes at the end of the film when, five years later, the people involved with Duffy, his band and his friends are painting houses and working at grocery stores, while Troy has spent all his money and is still slowly smoking and drinking himself to death.

The redeeming quality in this film is that it is a well-made documentary. Unfortunately, the subject is so frustrating and offensive that the film is truly difficult to enjoy.

"Overnight" is an irritating documentary about being a jerk in Hollywood and failing because of it. It teaches us a valid lesson, that everyone must learn: Nice guys don't finish last, Troy Duffy does.