AU secure from ID theft

Identity theft continues to be a problem across the country, and the businesses and universities are especially unsafe, according to an identity theft expert. However, the AU network system is "mostly" secure, according to Eric Weakland, the school's director of network security.

Identity theft takes place when key pieces of personal information, such as Social Security numbers, credit card numbers or driver's license information are stolen by someone who uses the information for his or her own benefit.

People whose identities are stolen may find their credit rates in shambles, a problem that takes some victims years to fix, making them unable to take out a loan or apply for a mortgage.

Ultimately little can be done to stop the crime altogether, said Linda Foley, co-executive of the Identity Theft Resource Center. "If you aren't worried about your identity being stolen, consider this: It happens to 13.5 people every minute," Foley said. "That's someone losing their identity every 4.5 seconds."

The problem rests largely in the hands of business owners and workplaces, including colleges, she said. For example, administrative offices contain vast amounts of personal information on employees and students.

The Internet is a particularly vulnerable forum for identity theft, which Foley said she finds astounding.

"Why do workplaces and universities require that your Social Security number be used all the time?" she asked. "Why can't they assign you a separate ID so you don't have to lay your identity on the line every time you sign a document or use a computer?"

AU students who use the University Web site my.american.edu are mostly secure, Weakland said.

The University's network "requires protocols that use user IDs to identify the person," he said. "Anything that takes place within our network and goes out over the Internet is encrypted."

For about a year and a half between 2002 and 2004, Social Security numbers, AU identification numbers, admissions applications, scholarships, addresses and other personal information of network users were available to people who knew about certain loopholes in the my.american.edu Web portal, The Eagle reported Jan. 22. e-Operations fixed the problem in January after The Eagle notified the University about it.

Recently, Weakland said that while there have been some cases of people sending e-mail messages under another person's address, little can be done to stop it.

"That's like me going down to a mailbox and dropping in a letter that I wrote under your name," Weakland said. "There's really nothing that can be done about that."

If students believe they are victims of identity theft, they should inform the Network Security division of e-Operations, but should also hold off on creating a ticket to fix the problem. Since confirmations of ticket requests are sent to students' AU e-mail addresses, this might let offenders know they have been discovered, Weakland said. In the meantime, Network Security will try to learn where the fraudulent e-mails were sent from on campus to pinpoint the problem.

While some AU students are aware of the concept of identity theft, they do not worry about it much.

"I don't go around telling everyone my Social Security number and write it down on every form that asks for it, especially Web sites," said Scott Kutler, a sophomore in the School of Communication. "But I don't worry that much."

Sivram Prasad, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, generally agrees.

"I do rip up my receipts after I shop," Prasad said, "but I don't really worry about it. I don't know of anyone that has been affected by identity theft."

Foley said that although identity theft is impossible to stop altogether, people can take several steps to prevent it.

"Don't carry your Social Security number on you," she said. "Avoid Internet and mailing scams that ask for any personal information. Purchase a paper shredder. Only give out your personal info in four situations: for a job, applying for credit, dealing with taxes or where it is necessary on a resume. Just use common sense."

Foley also cautions against students trusting their roommates.

"Sometimes it's foolish to completely trust someone you just met in September," she said. "If possible, keep all valuables, mail, bills and even your laptop in a small, locked container."

Victims of identity theft should immediately call the police or the Identity Theft Resource Center at (858) 693-7935. More information is available at the Federal Trade Commission's Web site, www.ftc.gov.