REVISED making out

Making out is a lost art.

We received our diplomas and entered the real world, leaving behind high school days when making out meant something. Remember when gossip on Monday mornings was who spent "seven minutes in heaven" instead of who was sexiled Saturday night? What happened to those days?

Kissing in college has become a means to an end, whether that end is head, sex, or scoring free drinks. Making out is the sexual equivalent of a gateway drug. It leads to one thing, then another, and then you can get really hardcore. I enjoy good sex as much as anyone else, but I miss making out and the anticipation of what could happen the next weekend.

When did we lose our make out innocence?

I lost mine two days after my 17th birthday. Sure, I was in physical relationships before then, but there was always time to make out in the back of a movie theater on Friday nights before climbing into the back seat while loitering at a park and ride.

Two days after my birthday I lost my virginity and started dating the guy a few days later. I don't ever recall making out with him. Wonderful relationship, stellar sex-but no more innocent, high school make out sessions. I'm not saying that you need to lose your virginity to lose your make out innocence. But think about that sexual turning point where you suddenly started going farther and taking kissing for granted.

We're a results-oriented generation. The attitude seems to be, "Kissing is nice, but making out serves as a process, an obligatory stop on the way to nookie nirvana." Why? Take time this weekend to make out with someone and remember how amazing it feels to roll around kissing, not screwing.

Think back to before you lost your make out innocence. Some kissers were good. Some were bad. And some were just ugly...we've all been with a slobberer.

Kissing techniques cannot be learned-kissing is a natural, unique ability. So make out more until you find someone you meld with! Guaranteed, if you click with a person's make out style, you'll have an unbelievable sexual rhythm and stellar orgasms. Making out can still eventually be a means to an end, but wouldn't it be nice to know if the sex will be good before you even roll on the condom?

There are three distinct styles of making out: slow and sensual, rushed and take-me-now, or playful and teasing. Each style has its perks, and I encourage you to mix them as you see fit.

The sensual and take-me-now styles are rather self-explanatory. All I have to say about those styles is don't be afraid to incorporate other parts of your body! A few unexpected pecks on the cheek, nibbles on earlobes or holding down your partner's wrists to incorporate a touch of S&M in an innocent make out session will blow your mind.

However, I think the third style deserves a bit of an explanation. Not only because it's my favorite style and I'm the columnist, but because it really hits home in terms of the best part of making out: bonding with your partner.

The third playful, teasing style is the make out equivalent of flirting and makeup sex combined. You know that playful banter that makes you want a person but also want to yell at him? Smart can be totally sexy. Spice up those conversations! Peck, kiss, tickle, tease...whatever turns you on. Playful pulling away and nips on the lips keep it interesting.

This style is best when you get so hot that it evolves into a steamy competition. Play hard to get or withhold kisses for a little bit. The winner of the game can turn the playful, make out banter into a take-me-now frenzy with a sultry "shut up." Go ahead; get in touch with your inner dominatrix.

Now go find someone to practice with!

If you're already in a relationship, revive making out. Teach your partner how you like to be kissed and lead by example. Nothing is hotter than, "Stay still for one minute and let me show you how I want to be kissed."

Maybe high school relationships weren't all that bad. Sure, there was the drama. But nothing beats a game of spin the bottle that gets hot and heavy.

Chapstick and Altoids anyone?