Muslim ambassadors visit AU

Diplomats stress learning, moderation

The ambassadors of Tunisia and Pakistan spoke about the importance of education, tolerance and communication in Islam at the 74th Washington Asia forum held in the SIS Lounge last Thursday.

The Center for Asian Studies, along with professor Akbar Ahmed's "World of Islam" class, sponsored the event, which featured presentations by H.E. Hatam Atallah, ambassador of Tunisia, and H.E. Mohommad Sadiq, acting ambassador of Pakistan.

Atallah presented "Islam in the Arab World," which highlighted the "two pillars" of Islam in Tunisia. The ambassador identified these pillars as education and a historical tradition of moderation and tolerance.

These two pillars facilitate an educated society, participation of women, and a focus on education that teaches progressiveness and tolerance, Atallah said. These factors create a "strong front against extremism and radicalism," he said.

Atallah highlighted the importance of a progressive education system in Tunisia, asserting that educating younger generations will make progressive reforms "absolutely irreversible." It will inhibit the efforts of terrorists and extremists to "use society's freedom to undermine society," he said.

Sadiq's presentation was titled "Islam in South Asia." Sadiq's presentation focused on Islam's history in South Asia, including the effects of British colonial rule on relations between Muslims and Hindus.

Sadiq began his presentation, however, with an appeal to the necessity of international and cross-cultural communication.

"Misinformation about other people leads us to feel under siege. ... All humanity is seeking resolutions to suffering through violence," he said. "We should learn that violence has never resolved any dispute or any problem. ... Only dialogue can free us from our prejudices and from violence."

The presentations were followed by a question-and-answer session between the ambassadors and the audience, which filled the SIS Lounge to its capacity.

"I was glad to get their perspectives on the war on terrorism and on extremism in Islam," said AU student Steve Kasulke. Kasulke especially appreciated "their focus on education and how [it] will further [the lives of] their citizens," he said.