Letters to the Editor: Hurricane assistance, Afghan elections, greek life, and gangs

Dear Editor:

Though I only was able to spend one year at AU before I was deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, I deeply appreciated the current-events accuity most of my fellow students possesed. It is this reason that I write this letter to set the record straight. Other news outlets have covered the protest of the candidates ad nauseum; I don't feel they have adequately expressed the sheer success of it.

I work in Zabol province, an area still harangued by the Taliban. Qalat, the provincial capital, was rocketed Thursday, before the election. Yet on Saturday, thousands of Afghans ventured from their homes to vote. Many of those were women.

Despite the unseasonably cold weather, they queued around mosques and schools, happy to cast their ballot. Happy that after 25 years of constant war, they were getting a chance to make their voices heard. This happiness, this momentous step for a nation, was not what was covered. Instead, the pettiness of human nature was allowed to rule the newswires. And I think it was a disservice to the American public as a whole.

Jennifer Baker

Civil Affiars Specialist, USAR

Dear Editor:

While Timothy Walburn provides a mainly well-researched and constructed defense of greek life on the AU campus in his op-ed piece of Oct. 7, I cannot help but feel that his comments concerning "who pulls the hottest women" (to use Paul Perry's phrase from the original letter to the editor in question) undermine any claims he has to the maturity or upstanding nature of himself or an institution holding similar values.

Walburn claims "we are not shallow; we are college-aged guys who have egos, desires and dreams (or fantasies)". Yes, you are college-aged guys with egos, etc. And yes, you are shallow if you allow your ego to demean women, to change their status into a gauge of your superiority. Yes, you have desires, the poorly chosen reactions to which Walburn excuses as the universality of hormones. And yes, you are shallow if you cannot exhibit self-control over those desires in a mature manner. Yes, you have dreams, but why must the greatest of those dreams be having the hottest girl?

Walburn cites numerous statistics concerning the great positions in government and business former fraternity men have risen to; why not place a career of service on your pedestal? In reference to recruiting practices, Walburn states: "Similar to everything else in the world, sometimes advertising isn't positive".

Walburn, since greek life at AU - according to your statistics - already surpasses the norm for college life, why not push it to once again surmount the ordinary and the mediocre? Why not challenge yourself and your brothers to a higher standard, to raise the bar on AU respect for women? I would be remiss if I were to judge the whole of greek life by your thoughtless and demeaning comments, but nonetheless I fear to hold by tongue lest the outrage your sorority sisters must feel somehow not be clearly communicated to you. The excuse of "boys will be boys" is no excuse at all, simply a means of escaping responsibility for immature and inappropriate actions.

Heidi Hershberger Sophomore, SIS

Dear Editor:

There have been an inordinate number of hurricanes this year. In response to this, members from the AU community have come together to help those in need and fulfill the obligations placed unto us by this university and everything that it stands for.

While many countries have felt the effects of these natural disasters, none is more destroyed than the Caribbean nation of Grenada. Grenada is a country that was once a colony of England, but now is independent and part of the British Commonwealth. Over the past years, this country has made terrific strides to become an active member of our global community. Grenada's main sources of revenue are nutmeg (one-third of the world's supply), bananas and tourism.

But all of these no longer exist. Children have no schools, 90 percent of the country has no electricity, and 60 percent is currently homeless. As the son of the Honorary Consul to Grenada at Chicago, my family has brought this tragedy to the attention of the Chicago and AU communities.

AU prides itself on being a "private university with a public responsibility." Grenada's prime minister, Keith Mitchell, is a graduate of AU and has asked us for our help. My brother Josh and I approached President Ladner about this issue, and immediately received an overwhelming response from campus organizations, including Student Activities, Office of Campus Life, Community Service, Greek Life, Habitat for Humanity, Caribbean Circle, One Accord, The Student Confederation, and University Chaplain Joe Eldridge.

Several events will be taking place to help raise awareness of the problems in Grenada. Fund-raisers and food and clothing drives will occur later this semester. Donation bins will be placed throughout campus. An alternate spring break is also in the works, and more information will be made available as soon as we have it.

On behalf of Grenada and the Grenada Working Group, I thank you for your help in assisting another community in need and encourage you to turn your "ideas into action, and action into service."

Ryan Schonfeld Freshman, SPA The Grenada Working Group

Dear Editor:

Gone are the days of Al Pacino, fedora hats and pinstripe suits. We are now looking in the face of baggy pants, oversized T-shirts and Air Force Ones. Divisions between modern gangs continue to grow deeper, with little or no opportunity to reconcile their differences. And currently, gang membership and violence are on the rise. In Maryland and D.C., police forces are recognizing this issue and attempting to prevent further growth through education and cracking down on these groups.

According to recent police reports from surrounding areas, there are approximately 70 gang groups in the surrounding areas. Social workers, police, politicians, educators and community volunteers are banding together to help prevent gang recruitment and membership. They are planning to set up a "youth opportunity center" to provide education for young children with a high probability of joining.

Two main counties are particularly picking up these programs in an effort to prevent gang activity. Prince George's and Montgomery counties are essentially teaming up and combining resources to combat this growing problem. Most gangs in this area are Hispanic and African-American. In attempting to stop this membership, officials must also educate themselves about the history of these gangs and their values. Two county executives, Jack B. Johnson (Montgomery County) and Douglas M. Duncan (Prince George's County), are leading this investigation. They've created a report that outlines the vital importance of "prevention, education and suppression."

"We've got to do everything we can to prevent young people from joining gangs in the first place," says Duncan. There has been no immediate effect of these programs yet, but these officials and community members are looking to enforce this plan and move forward in the process of preventing gang activity and membership through educational programs.

Emily Freifeld Freshman, SOC