Victims mourned

Terror in Russia

Hundreds of people gathered at the Russian Embassy this week to mourn the deaths of more than 300 people who were taken hostage at School 1 in Beslan, Russia.

Flowers and other tokens of grief litter the sidewalk in front of the embassy, in a moving display of sympathy from citizens of a country with a history of conflict with Russia.

Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin declared Sept. 6 and 7 days of national mourning. The embassy invited visitors to sign a "book of condolences" and by Thursday, so many had come they filled two more.

Well-known signers of the books include Madeline Albright, pictured at right, and Colin Powell. Behind Albright stands Russian ambassador Yuri V. Ushakov.

The embassy has endorsed the "International Foundation for Terror Act Victims," a charity organization collecting money to give to victims in Beslan. The charity began to help victims of the Moscow Nord-Ost theater siege in 2002. Donations can be made to the IFTAV through its website, www.moscowhelp.org.

The Red Cross is also trying to help terror victims in Beslan. The Russian Red Cross is collecting toys, bed linens and clothes. Monetary donations can be made to the International Federation of the Red Cross at www.ifrc.org.