Music Note: Charlotte Martin

Charlotte Martin "On Your Shore" (RCA Records) Sounds like: the love child of Tori Amos and Peter Gabriel.

B+

Rock critics have this little problem of pigeonholing artists into cramped genre categories that not only impose limits on the talent of that artist, but also make the assumption that music that sounds similar is the same.

This problem is especially apparent when it comes to musicians - particularly female musicians - whose weapon of choice is the piano. There aren't a lot of female rockers as it is, but when you whittle them down to female rockers who play the piano, you are left with only a handful.

Because newbie Charlotte Martin plays the piano and sings, comparisons to piano-goddess Tori Amos instantly spring to mind. But the piano and a similar tonal quality in vocals are where the similarities end.

"On Your Shore," released a few weeks ago, is its own entity, independent of Amos associations despite its comparable sound.

The entirety of "On Your Shore" makes for a solid debut, though there are a few tracks that stand out from the rest. The title track, along with what is arguably the best song on the album, "Everytime it Rains," offers the best of Martin's clear vocals laced over a haunting backdrop of background vocals and dripping piano notes. Martin also takes on the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" in an innovative cover that does the original justice while assuming its own unique form.

The only problem with "On Your Shore" is that it can be a bit monotonous at times. After the first five tracks, the songs begin to blend together, and it becomes difficult for listeners to make the music their primary focus. Martin's voice and enrapturing melodies make it easy to want to sing along. The question is, will you want to sing along to the entire album?

There is no denying that Martin is a musician - and songwriter - to be reckoned with. "On Your Shore" is absolutely a release that more than makes up for the crap that fellow female rockers like Liz Phair have recently been spitting the listener's way.

Charlotte Martin will be playing the 9:30 club on Friday as part of the "Chicks With Attitude" tour alongside has-been Phair, the Cardigans and Katy Rose.