M. Butterfly at Arena Stage

Play boasts accomplished performance by Stephen Bogardus

In the 16 years since David Henry Hwang's "M. Butterfly" made its Broadway debut, the issues it treats have only become more relevant to social and cultural discussions.

At a time when debates occur in political arenas, on university campuses and in towns across the country over the topics of same-sex marriage and family values, this revival of Hwang's exploration of "the edges of sexuality" makes valuable contributions to ongoing dialogues. "M. Butterfly" not only addresses sexuality and gender roles, it also forces its audience to consider the impact of cultural stereotypes on each of those issues.

The battle between East and West that defined world events for more than 40 years serves as the backdrop for this play, and is depicted by Hwang as more than a cultural or political conflict. It is seen here instead as intensely personal.

Based on a true story, this tale of a love affair that spans decades touches on the drastic impact the two main characters - Rene Gallimard and Song Lilling (Butterfly) - have on world events almost as a side note. The heart of the story is in the evolution of the love affair - and the seduction, manipulation and passions that determine its evolution.

Complex human emotions and world-changing political events are brought to life on a stage that had no sets to contribute to the understanding of time and place. Scene changes are indicated by simple lighting cues, each cue a distinct representation of a particular room or building. Props are rarely used, but often described in detail by characters as they relived scenes from their past with the audience.

By providing a clean slate on which to tell this story, director Tazewell Thompson places a heavy burden on the actors with whom he works - and they carry it with perfect grace.

Stephen Bogardus portrays French diplomat Rene Gallimard, who walks the fine line between fantasy and reality for more than 20 years. Bogardus owns the stage in this production - so much so, in fact, that until the last 20 minutes of this three-hour play he is in nearly every scene.

Without ever changing from his pajama-like costume, this veteran of stage and screen shows the audience Gallimard as a wide-eyed school boy, bland married man, distinguished diplomat, passionate lover and tortured prisoner. His honest portrayal of a man whose world is defined by the actions of an enchanting, exotic lover draws in the audience and brings life to Hwang's brilliantly written play.

New to the professional stage, J. Hiroyuki Liao's nuanced performance as Song Lilling drew from the audience laughter, sympathy, anger and pain. Every scene in which Liao appeared created a deeper understanding of Lilling and the personal and political crises that defined the character.

Thompson's skillful direction, Hwang's touching story and Bogardus' and Liao's phenomenal performances combine to tell a beautiful story of love, betrayal, politics and passion that also explores our cultural understanding of each.

For show dates and times, visit www.arenastage.org.