Campus honors 9/11 with service and services

On Sept.11, 2001, two planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, one in the Pentagon in Washington D.C., and a fourth in a field in Pennsylvania. For the first time in history, the Federal Aviation Administration halted all flights. Thousands of lives were lost, as death took its toll on the rescuers as well as the victims.

Students at AU, like people around the world, were stunned when it happened. However, its emotional impact has lessened for some.

"I was at high school going to my math class when I found out," said freshman Clare Bresnahan. When the towers fell, Bresnahan said she had a "sad, eerie feeling." Now, Bresnahan described her day this Sept. 11 as being normal and fun, though she said she felt slightly guilty for not thinking more about 9/11.

Last Saturday, moments of silence were observed around the country at the exact times of the plane crashes, and again when the towers fell. Here on campus, the College Republicans helped organize an event as part of "Operation Kindness" to supply the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq with supplies.

"We felt like there should be something done in honor of Sept. 11," said junior Mike Inganamort, president of the College Republicans.

The College Republicans collected basic toiletries for the troops, such as shaving cream and tissues. They also accepted food, bug repellant and magazines. People of all different political ideologies donated.

"This isn't about politics or supporting the war," Inganamort said. "It's about supporting the troops"