Campus Bands: DARNEL

Genre-bending AU act winning fans one gig at a time

This is the first part in a continuing series on AU music groups. Next Monday: Heavy Syndication.

Somewhere, separate form the myriad of punk and hardcore acts that overwhelm the D.C. area, the band Darnel smiles like a Cheshire cat. Made up of five full-time AU students, Darnel models itself as a jam band in the grand tradition of Phish and the Grateful Dead.

As they took the stage at the Grog and Tavern Sept. 23 to open for the band Lotus, they showed, surprisingly, no sign of fatigue from the previous night's recording session, which had run well into the early morning hours. The crowd wasn't large that night; it was composed of about a dozen or so college students and assorted barflies. Each of them came out a fan of Darnel by the end of the night, swarming the members with pats on the back and kind words.

In September 2002, percussionist Jon Feldman and guitarist Arone Silverman met on the Quad and realized that their mutual love of music was so great that they should form an act together. After some collaboration they took out a want ad for a bassist. Little did they know that they'd get Darnel, a big man nearly twice their age with a lifestyle that overwhelmed them. After forming the short-lived group "The Darnel Experience," the students parted ways with Darnel but immortalized his name, making it their band's new moniker.

Soon a fresh lineup took shape with Benjamin Engel on drums, John Paul on piano, accompanying Silverman on guitar, and Feldman on enough percussion instruments to fill the remainder of this article. The newest and youngest member, sophomore Travis Stewart, was added just five days prior to the band's gig at the Grog.

Throughout their set, the unique personalities of Darnel took center stage during the many improvisational breaks that have become their trademark. Paul is in many ways the center of their sound, literally playing his keyboard in the middle of the stage with the rest of Darnel revolving around him like moths to a flame. Tom Noble, a fellow AU student and Darnel's self -proclaimed no. 1 fan, was so ecstatic over Paul's solo during the opening number "Rock Star" he shouted, "You're a genius John Paul!"

Of course Paul himself has the greatest amount of modesty regarding his talent, showing quiet determination during crowd pleasing solos. As a student of hot jazz in the vein of Earl "Fatha" Hines and Jellyroll Morton, he also is a member of Tapical Focus, a local jazz ensemble and a relative newcomer to performing rock music, seeing it as a vehicle to reach larger audience and amend his own jazz expertise.

In contrast to Paul's mad scientist demeanor is Silverman, who personifies laid-back cool with his long blond hair, red Jeff Pilson T-shirt and torn jeans. As lead vocalist his talents were on full display during his co-compositions "E-Jam" and "Captain Morgan's," which resurrect the sprit of psychedelica and fusing it with a progressive jazz undercurrent.

"I spent a year in Nicaragua as a volunteer before coming to college," Silverman said. "During that time I got into flamenco music in a big way. Also we're all big jazz fans, fans of everything really; we don't want to be tied to one genre."

Engel, adorned in a tie-died Hendrix shirt, appeared to be feeling the psychedelic spirit that night. During his dynamic call-and-response solos with Stewart and Silverman on "Down There," he let his size 5A sticks flow fast and loose with his tongue stuck out, strangely reminiscent of Michael Jordan. In many ways Engel seems like the band's historian relating their origins and changing attitudes with a sense of nostalgia and reverence for Darnel. His eclectic influences, which range from Jon Bonham to Ringo Starr, served him well during the genre-crossing interplay of the evening.

Situated behind Engel on the stage, Travis Stewart proved himself to be the most expressive member of the band, smiling visibly and having the time of his life while bouncing up and down with what little room the stage could afford him. Despite only being with the band for a brief period, it looked like he knew the other members of Darnel since childhood, from their rapport. This was especially present during the band's closing number "Roses," where Stewart summoned the spirit of Jerry Garcia with an infectious goofiness that amused himself almost as much as the toe-tapping patrons of the Grog. The fact that he was dressed in a Wonka Bar shirt only seemed to add to the innocuous fun.

Finally, on the far end of the stage stood Feldman. Alternating between his many percussive instruments, Feldman spends most of his time with his head down in a business-like concentration similar to what someone might find on an auto workers' assembly line. During "Down There" and "Playa Samara," his percussive abilities really shine. At one point he was compelled to jump up and down while playing the tambourine with precise timing.

"I used to play Trap Kit," Feldman said after the set. "But I had to sell it to be able to afford all of this stuff."

Jeff McAleer, Darnel's sound technician of eight months, practically serves as a sixth member, assuring that the band's improvisational nature is captured on as many live recordings as possible. His credits include helping at the Bob Dylan show last year in Bender as well as events hosted at the University of Tennessee.

"I've been doing sound for over ten years," McAleer said. "I started out helping my mother, who worked at a local TV station, and I've been doing it ever since. Before Darnel I mostly did Christian Rock, so this is a nice change of pace."

The first gig Darnel ever played was on Friday the 13th at the bar Passport two years ago. What started on a day known for gloom and infamy has, in a twist of superstition, turned out to spawn something prolific and truly soulful. It's hard to believe that a chance meeting at AU two years ago would lead to something so concrete with the potential to last a good while.

On Oct. 5, Darnel will play on AU's Quad, going back to where it all began. Whether or not two other musicians will meet at this show and formulate some ideas of their own is up to the gods of music to decide.