Bush, Kerry differ on how to provide college cash

Along with national security and gay marriage, money for college students is an important issue in this year's election, with both President Bush and Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) proposing to provide more of it.

Early this month, Bush said he wants to make Pell Grants, a form of free federal student aid, available all year instead of only during the usual fall and spring semesters.

However, an official in AU's Financial Aid office said this proposal would not do much to change the way aid is given out.

"Currently, Pell Grants can be used 'year -round,'" said Assistant Director of Financial Aid Amy Gerber. "However, most students choose not to use their Pell Grants during the summer semester because it reduces their eligibility for the following spring semester."

With aid available for the whole year, Bush hopes to increase summer enrollment and possibly cut down on eventual student loan bills, along with the years it takes to earn an undergraduate degree. Last year, 720 students received Pell Grants aid totaling about $1.8 million.

As well as making the grants available year -round, Bush wants to raise the maximum amount awarded to $4,500 from the standard $4,050, which has been the highest award since 2002.

Some AU students said they liked Bush's idea.

"If someone is going to give me money to help defer the costs of college, then I'm all for it," said Jocelyn Burston, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs. "If I can use that money during the summer to finish school sooner and not have to take out so many loans, it's worth it."

Kerry is focusing on community service and tax credits to alleviate the cost of college, rather then working on Pell Grants, The Eagle reported this spring. Under a plan Kerry announced earlier this year, a $4,000 tuition tax credit would be available to students who do community service to help fund their college costs.

Kerry also plans on implementing programs such as college preparedness and "EZ" financial aid forms in the hopes of enrolling 1.5 million students in college by the year 2009.

No one from either the Bush or Kerry campaign was available for comment.

George Washington University freshman Kamal Patel said he doubted either candidate would help alleviate the cost of college.

"I think that Bush has just watched as my college tuition rises," Patel said. "However, I still think our parents are going to have to pay because both of them are neglecting the fact that education costs are on the rise"