Bar Briefs

Tony and Joe's Seafood Place Address: 3000 K St. NW Metro stop: Rosslyn, Orange and Blue Line

Looking to talk about the drudgery of the 9-5 work week? Interested in guys who are slightly balding? On the lookout for a future wife or husband? Then Tony and Joe's is the place to be! This over-rated waterfront bar is nothing special. It's overcrowded and extremely overpriced. A White Russian costs a whopping $7.25, and beer isn't much cheaper. Plus, on humid nights the smell from the Potomac doesn't make for a great atmosphere. Many people are under the idea that just because Tony and Joe's is strict on IDs, it must be a magical, fun place-so not true.

Old Glory BBQ Address: 3139 M St. NW Metro stop: Rosslyn, Orange and Blue Line

After dinner, this family style restaurant in the heart of Georgetown turns into a laid-back bar. There are big booths to accommodate large groups of people, and there's no pressure to do anything but sit, drink and enjoy the atmosphere. Not too many AU students frequent Old Glory, so it's always fun to pretend to be a smart Georgetown medical student for the night. A few words of caution: The bathrooms are up a treacherous flight of stairs, so be sure to make the trip before taking those back-to-back whiskey shots.

The Front Page Restaurant and Grille Address: 1333 New Hampshire Ave. NW Metro stop: Dupont Circle, Red Line

If you're in search for a night away from AU, stay away from the Front Page on Thursday nights. Its "Bucket of Corona" special draws in massive amounts of AU students who are eager to ring in the weekend one night early. Although the bar may seem like a big frat party complete with long-lost acquaintances from freshman year, it's big enough to avoid ex-girlfriends, boyfriends, or past drunken hook-ups. On nice nights, the outdoor patio is a great place to sit to people-watch.

Brass Monkey Address: 2317 18th St. NW Metro stop: Adams Morgan, Red Line

Located in the heart of the Adams Morgan bar strip, Brass Monkey offers fairly cheap drinks and a fun atmosphere. It seems like someone is always celebrating a 21st birthday, so it's not even necessary to drink to enjoy the night. Instead, watch as the birthday girl or boy makes a complete idiot of him or herself! And if it's a slow night at Brass Monkey, there are plenty of other bars to go to within walking distance.

DC9 Address: 1940 9th St. NW Metro stop: U St./ African American Civil War Memorial/ Cardozo, Green Line

This newly opened hipster bar is located right down the street from the 9:30 club. This is a perfect location, because if a concert sucks, DC9 is just a short walk away! The bottom part of the bar is free to get in to, and has a cool juke box that plays trendy indie rock. All of the bar's drinks are fairly inexpensive, but mixed drinks are far cheaper than beer. The upstairs offers live music, so there's a cover charge to get in. Entry prices depend on the band's popularity.