The Killers vs. Franz Ferdinand

Battle of the Bands

Band The Killers Franz Ferdinand
Album "Hot Fuss" "Franz Ferdinand"
Record Label Island Records Domino / Sony
Star Rating: *** ***
Sounds Like: A modern version of Duran Duran melded with The Cure. A more dance-infused version of The Strokes.
Hit Single: "Somebody Told Me" "Take Me Out"
Best Song: "Midnight Show" "The Dark of the Matinee"
Worst Song: "Believe Me Natalie" "Jacqueline"
Who They Are: A stylish rock band out of Las Vegas who sounds like they are from the U.K. A Scottish rock band who was over-hyped first in the U.K., now in the United States.
Why They Rock: "Somebody Told Me" is by far the most infectious song written in the last 10 years. Plus, their danceable blend of synth-pop and guitar rock offers a good reason to bust a move. Most of their songs make you want to hop up and dance, and their '80s inspired rock is a refreshing shift away from bands like the Vines and the Hives.
Why They Suck: Slower songs like "Believe Me Natalie" are so boring and poorly written it is hard to believe the record label allowed them on the album. Despite the extreme catchiness of their music, somehow Franz retains a really dull sense that makes them hard to listen to for long periods of time.
The Verdict: It's either hit or miss with the songs on this album, but ultimately the Killers prevail simply due to the unbelievably awesome synth fill in the middle of "Somebody Told Me." Franz's catchy riffs and bouncy vocals are pretty addicting, but only briefly
Winner: Franz Ferdinand is becoming over-hyped too quickly, giving the Killers an underdog edge. In the end, "Hot Fuss" is more likely to remain on repeat than "Franz Ferdinand."