The best of Bethesda

While D.C. offers a wide variety of shopping, dining and social life, other areas nearby are worth a visit. Bethesda, located on the Metro's Red Line, is an upscale town that boasts an impressive milieu of restaurants. Although the town caters more toward expensive tastes, and is considered by many to be a haven for yuppies, it still possesses a funky side.

Bethesda's Top 10

1. Montgomery County Farmer's Market - Each Tuesday from May to October, the Montgomery County Farmers Market sells anything from used furniture to fresh fruits and vegetables. Located on Norfork and Auburn avenues. It's open 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., rain or shine.

2. Raku - This popular sushi restaurant with a location in downtown Bethesda is a favorite amongst AU students. "The food is great, and it's not very expensive," said Lisa Gruber, a senior in the School of Communication. Located at 7240 Woodmont Ave. Open daily for lunch and dinner.

3. Mustard Seed - This store buys and sells used casual clothes, with brands ranging from K-Mart to Gucci. The prices are relatively cheap, and the clothes are in excellent condition. Located at 7349 Wisconsin Ave. Open Monday-Saturday from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Sunday from 12-6 p.m.

4. Second Story Books - With an impressive collection of used books, ranging from classics to romance novels, this store is a local favorite. Located at 4836 Bethesda Ave. Open daily from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.

5. Bethesda Row Cinema - Movie fare is far from cheap ($9.25) but this independent movie theater shows all of the films that are actually worth seeing. Located at 7235 Woodmont Ave. Unlike the United Artist cineplex in Bethesda, this theater lacks the pesky pre-teen crowds.

6. Booeymonger - This local chain of delis has a menu filled with delicious soups, salads and infinite sandwich combinations. Located at 4600 East West Highway. Open 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday-Friday and 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

7. Luna - For those who enjoy trendy fashion on the pricey end, check out Luna. The boutique offers clothing from designers like Seven Jeans. Located at 7232 Woodmont Ave.

8. Pines of Rome - The best "real" Italian food in Bethesda. The restaurant has an extensive menu featuring traditional Italian dishes, but its highlight is its freshly made pizza. Located at 4709 Hampden Lane. Open for lunch and dinner.

9. The Original Pancake House - No AU experience is complete without a Sunday morning visit to this always-bustling restaurant. The menu is expansive, and the portions are way too large to finish, leaving diners full and happy on pancakes. Located at 7700 Wisconsin Ave. Call (301) 986-0285 for hours.

10. Strike Bethesda - This bar and bowling alley is a fun way to spend a Friday night or Sunday afternoon. It's located near Park Bethesda, so it's just a short shuttle ride away from AU. Located at 5353 Westbard Ave. Call (301) 652-0955 for hours and bowling prices.