Music Notes - Aug. 6

Matt Pond PA "Emblem" (Altitude Records) 3 stars Sounds like: Radio-friendly, but still quality music that remains upbeat despite its cynical lyrics.

It's rare to find a band capable of both top-notch musical skills and intelligent writing. Matt Pond PA is lucky because they merge the two to make fun, accessible songs, so even those who aren't musical snobs can appreciate their talent.

Perhaps the band's greatest talent is their ability to make a catchy song. From "kc," the first track on their latest album "Emblems," to the last song, "close (kc two)," Matt Pond blends smart lyrics and upbeat rhythms together to produce pop bliss.

One of the best songs on "Emblems" is "closest," a track that demonstrates the group's infectious guitar lines. The band cautions their audience to "Look out / there is danger even in the simple word hello." This wariness of surroundings continues throughout the album, especially on "summer (butcher two)" and "grave's disease." With "Emblems," Matt Pond PA seems to be teaching listeners survival skills for the jaded world the in which the band lives.

Matt Pond PA will be playing the Iota in Arlington on Aug. 10. For more information, visit www.mattpondpa.com.

-BLAIR PAYNE

Rogue Wave "Out of the Shadow" (Sub Pop Records) 3.5 stars Sounds like: The Shins.

Rogue Wave sounds an awful lot like indie hipsters the Shins. Their debut, "Out of the Shadow," is a pretty close approximation of the Shins' careful blend of gentle power-pop and delicate aural textures, more along the lines of "Oh Inverted World" than "Chutes Too Narrow."

Rogue Wave, which initially began as a solo project by singer-songwriter Zach Rogue and eventually morphed into a full-fledged band, may offer something very similar to an already-loved band, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The 12 tracks contained on "Out of the Shadow" are pretty perfect examples of songwriting. "Postage Stamp World," a track that clearly draws on the influence of Elliott Smith, pulls the listener in so seamlessly everything else seems to disappear. On tracks like that Rogue Wave gains a more unique voice, while songs like "Sewn Up" and "Every Moment" could be long-lost Shins B-sides.

It is clear why Sub Pop has gained such a reputation as a hipster label; Rogue Wave is certainly poised to be the next indie "it" band. Fans of the Shins and Death Cab for Cutie will take to this band like a fish to water.

Rogue Wave will be playing the Black Cat on Aug. 14. For more information visit www.roguewavemusic.com.

-EMILY ZEMLER

The Presidents of the United States of America "Love Everybody" (PUSA Music) 3 stars Sounds like: '90s rock making a comeback in the 21st century.

It's been a while since the music scene has heard from Seattle-rockers the Presidents of the United States of America. "Love Everybody," their first release in four years, is a catchy return, but it is uncertain if listeners still care about this kind of '90s-influenced alt-rock. Despite the grabby nature of their new album, the Presidents are either several years too late for a new album or several years too early for a comeback.

The album's title track, which is also the first track on the album, immediately gives one a sense of the album's overall bouncing beats and engaging hooks. Each track that follows fulfills the first track's promise of upbeat, catchy songs that showcase the Presidents' signature radio-ready sound.

The problem here is that no matter how good this album may be, its sound is out of place in today's music industry. While most bands have recently been returning to synth-based dance pop of the 1980s, the Presidents are a throwback to 1995. And the world's not ready for a '90s throwback just yet. This band would do better to hold out for a few more years and wait for the '90s revival that is sure to hit us once our newfound love for the '80s dies out.

The Presidents of the United States of America will be playing the 9:30 club on Aug. 25. For more information visit www.presidentsrock.com.

-E.Z.