Holding out for a 'Hero': martial arts epic lacks punch

"Hero" 3 stars PG-13, 96 m with Jet Li, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Maggie Cheung, Zhang Ziyi and Donnie Yen. Directed by Yimou Zhang. Opened Friday.

For a film with such epic scope, ultimately "Hero" fails to leave viewers with that starry-eyed tingle, which is pretty confusing, considering the excellence of "Hero"'s execution. Filmmaker Yimou Zhang masterfully crafts a universe with beauty and precision. Zhang has also assembled an incredible cast, including Jet Li ("Fist of Legend"), Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung ("In the Mood For Love"), Zhang Ziyi ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") and Donnie Yen ("Iron Monkey").

In "Hero," Jet Li plays Nameless; the idea of an unnamed is a staple of kung fu and samurai films that Quentin Tarantino referenced in "Kill Bill" by bleeping out The Bride's actual name. Nameless is being honored by the King of Qin, a militaristic tyrant seeking to unify the territory that will eventually make up China. Nameless tells of how he battled the three assassins that seek to kill the king.

While "Hero" will ultimately draw comparisons to Ang Lee's 2001 "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," it seems to have more in common with legendary Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon." The film itself is multiple versions of the same story, only from different points of view. However, where "Rashomon" focuses on the wickedness of the human spirit, "Hero" seems to be anchored in its beautiful imagery, not in its characters, with the exception of the Wai and Cheung who play the lovers Broken Sword and Flying Snow. Their relationship becomes the true emotional highlight of "Hero," and is sometimes devastatingly sad, but always memorable.

The fight sequences are buried more in art and Zhang's brilliant use of mise-en-scene and Australian Christopher Doyle's incredible cinematography than kick-ass kung fu action. The only glimpse of a rock 'em sock 'em duel comes in the first fight between Nameless (Li) and Sky (Yen). The 10-minute duel between Li and Yen is sort of a tease since the rest of the film never delivers the same caliber of action. Nameless's duel with Broken Sword takes place entirely on water, and while it's incredible to see the two characters dancing on top of the surface, the impact of the duel seems to be lacking.

It's hard to find fault in Zhang's epic film. The masterful director is never swallowed by the sheer scope of his film. While there are moments throughout "Hero" that scream masterpiece, the overall picture doesn't leave viewers incredibly touched.