Eating and reading cheaply in D.C.

Washington, D.C. is not a cheap city. Compared to smaller cities and towns, the overall cost of living can be intimidating. However, there are ways of getting around these expenses. Rather than frequenting restaurants in trendy sections of the city or shopping for groceries at the Eagle's Nest, look for less crowded places to dine and scout out local stores that offer cheap bargains. This guide offers some suggestions on how to live life cheaply in D.C.

Cheap Restaurants

There are tons of inexpensive places to eat in D.C., but they can be hard to find. Here are some places where cheap meals and AU students abound.

1. Cafe Ole - This Mediterranean restaurant offers a large menu and equally large portions. An average entree costs $6-9. Get there: Take the AU shuttle to the Tenley Campus stop, then walk to 4000 Wisconsin Ave.

2. Hibachi Brothers - Visit this sushi restaurant from 4-7:30 p.m. to enjoy its $1 sushi Happy Hour special. Sushi a la carte is cheap, but the entrees are a bit pricier, with costs between $9-13. Get there: Take the AU shuttle to Tenleytown, then walk to 4441 Wisconsin Ave.

3. Ben's Chili Bowl - Always popular, this late-night diner has great food at extremely cheap prices. Ben's 100 percent beef chili burger is $3.85, and a chili dogs cost $2.95. Get there: Take the Green/Yellow line to the U St./ Cardozo stop and walk to 1213 U. St.

4. Osman & Joe's Steak 'n' Egg Kitchen - Another AU favorite, this 24-hour greasy stop-off is a perfect way to end a Saturday night out or to take a late-night study break. Entrees average between $5 and $8. Get there: Take the AU shuttle to the Tenley Metro stop, then walk to 4700 Wisconsin Ave.

5. Mr. Smith's of Georgetown - Pub grub reigns at this Georgetown restaurant. The atmosphere is relaxed, and the food is affordable. Burgers are $5.95, and salads range anywhere from $3.50-$9. Get there: Take any even-numbered 30 Metrobus to 3104 M St.

Cheap Books and School Supplies

The price of textbooks and other school supplies always shocks new students (and their parents). Instead of paying the Campus Store's prices, search for school supplies at these places:

1. Second Story Books - This used books store in Bethesda offers 73,303 titles. The store is especially helpful, because its Web site enables customers to search for the books they're looking for online. Check out www.secondstorybooks.com for more information. Get there: Take the Red line to the Bethesda stop, then walk to 4836 Bethesda Ave.

2. Bridge Street Books - This independent bookstore sells classics and contemporary novels, making it extremely popular. Get there: Take the Blue/Orange line to the Foggy Bottom stop, then walk to 2814 Pennsylvania Ave.

To find cheap textbooks online, check out american.dailyjolt.com/book_exchange.html, www.abebooks.co.uk, www.stubex.com, www.textbookx.com, www.getcheapbooks.com, www.bigwords.com, and, of course, Amazon.com and half.com. (See links below)

3. Staples - As always, Staples is a great place to shop for cheap school supplies. For instance, six Staples pen-style highlighters cost $1.94. Get there: Take the Red line to Bethesda. Walk to 6800 Wisconsin Ave.

4. Target - Linens 'n' Things may claim to be the cheap place to buy dorm room supplies, but don't be fooled - Target is less expensive. For instance, its "Bed in a Bag" product is only $14.99. Similarly, its "Nite Glo" lamps are only $14.99. Get there: Unfortunately, Target is not Metro-accessible, so find a friend with a car and drive to 6100 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, Va.

5. TJ Maxx - While Target offers great prices, TJ Maxx is also cheap. And it's Metro-accessible. The store's home section contains linens, towels and some really tacky decorations perfect for any college dorm room. Get there: Take the Red line to the Friendship Heights stop. Walk to 4350 Jenifer St.

Splurge Restaurants

Every once in a while, it's OK to skip TDR and splurge on one fantastic meal. These are some especially great choices.

1. La Tomate - Not only is this Italian restaurant's food exceptional, the views are also. For those who enjoy people watching, the large windows that overlook the Dupont Circle streets will make for an especially enjoyable experience. Average prices for entrees range from $12.25-17.95. Get there: Take the Metro to the Dupont Circle Metro stop, then walk to 1701 Connecticut Ave.

2. Cafe Deluxe - Any salad or fish entree is the way to go at this Tenleytown eatery. An average dinner entree can be anywhere from $12-20. Get there: Take the AU shuttle to the Tenley Campus shuttle stop. Walk to 3228 Wisconsin Ave.

3. La Fourchette - This is an above-average French restaurant with a unique atmosphere. The place is small and dimly lit, with large murals and mirrors covering the walls. Try the onion soup and filet mignon. Prices range from $14-30 per entree. Get there: Take the Metro to the Woodley Park Zoo/ Adams Morgan stop, then walk to 2429 18th St.

4. J. Paul's - This Georgetown hotspot doubles as a restaurant and a nighttime hangout, with its loud atmosphere and lively bar. The raw bar featuring oysters and clams is especially worth checking out. Prices range from $7-25.95. Get there: Take any even-numbered 30 bus to 3218 M. St.

5. Chef Geoff's - Any restaurant within walking distance from AU that takes EagleBuck$ is a guaranteed hit among AU students. While the prices are high, the food is great, making it all worth it. Plus, Chef Geoff's is an easy way to get rid of excess EagleBuck$ at the end of a semester. Prices range from $10-$20. Get there: Walk to 3201 New Mexico Ave.