Third 'Potter' hits theaters with new director at helm

Harry Potter is something of a cult figure nowadays, and the release of the third Harry Potter film is a monumental occasion in lives of children and adults alike. But this film, unlike the second film, is not only immense in its cult status, but also in the talent behind its camera. Alfonso Cuaron, the genius behind Mexico's "Y Tu Mama Tambien," has stepped into Chris Columbus' much sought-after shoes to direct "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," the third installment in the Harry Potter book and film series.

Don't expect to see any nudity in this movie though; as he tells the story of Harry's third year at Hogwarts, Cuaron maintains the same cheeky and heartwarming style employed by Columbus in the previous two films, but manages to add his own touches fairly seamlessly.

In "The Prisoner of Azkaban," Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) enters yet another year at Hogwarts with his pals the rather daffy Ron (Rupert Grint) and the know-it-all Hermione (Emma Watson). This year, instead of worrying about the evil wizard Voldemort, Harry must watch out for Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), an escaped convict from the wizard prison of Azkaban who helped kill Harry's parents. The plot of this film is complex and in order for it to fit into a two-hour span must leave out many key details included in the book version.

Indeed, Cuaron seems to realize that this is a film, not a book, and instead being limited by that fact, he uses it to his advantage. Whereas the book allowed for more background and understanding of the characters and their motives, the film allows for a more visual understanding of Harry's world. This film, unlike the previous two, highlights the beauty of Hogwarts' natural surroundings, suggesting that Cuaron wants his audience to relate to Harry's environment as something natural and real. The characters in this film also dress in street clothes rather than wizards' robes for much of film, apparently in hopes that children will not see Harry and his friends as fantasy so much.

It is clear that while Harry is a wizard, he is a normal boy with human reactions. As he belatedly deals with the loss of his parents, viewers see Harry begin to accept his lot and seek out other adults as parental figures. Here, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lupin, helps Harry to understand his past and his potential.

"The Prisoner of Azkaban" relies on the visceral experience of the audience as much as that of the characters. When Harry plummets from the sky after falling off his broomstick, we fall with him. And when Hermione clings to the flailing branch of the Whomping Willow, we feel as though we were riding a roller coaster with her.

It seems to be a given that all the Harry Potter films, like the books, will be well done and well received. Most of the viewers entering the theater to see this movie will already know the story - something that is not essential to the enjoyment of the film, but something that certainly augments the experience. One should expect nothing but fun from Harry and his friends, and this one can also expect a film spearheaded by one of our generation's greatest film directors.