Local bands rock out DC9

Morris/ Run Silent Run Deep/ Crashlander at DC9

Local bands are a much-maligned sect of the elitist music industry. Audiences and critics tend to assume that a band is untalented just because they are: a) not signed, b) playing in local dives to crowds of five people and c) releasing trashy little EPs that sound like they were recorded in a cave. Certainly not every local garage rock band offers a show worthy of bands on the majors, but there are surprising numbers of unknown local bands that rock the D.C. scene.

On Saturday, three of D.C.'s best underground rock acts played the new hip local dive, DC9. DC9, a 21-and-over venue that boasts live music every night of the week, has a tiny stage in its upstairs room that makes for intimate shows to smaller crowds. The 21-and-over policy is an enormous mistake since many of the bands that play the club appeal to an audience that may not be legal yet. Despite this grave error, the club offers a relaxed, yet still hip atmosphere that is going a little heavy on its use of red.

Morris, a local band who apparently plays the club weekly, offered a solid set of glam and punk-infused rock that was prettily offset by the lead singer's awesome red pants. The band, whose CD "Person of Interest" is available off Van Ness' Revolutions Records, is an engaging trio with snappy guitar riffs and strong vocals.

Morris' set was followed by Run Silent Run Deep, whose brand of rock is slightly different from that of the other two bands. RSRD offers a more low-key sound driven by lead singer Thomas Schantz's pleading vocals. RSRD's set, which did not necessarily reflect the talent heard on their album, was less than engaging. The band seems slightly uncomfortable in front of the audience and unwilling to fully let go and rock out. By the final two songs, however, Schantz and his bandmates seemed to have loosened up and produced a driving finish to an unfortunately mediocre set.

RSRD's album, "Season of Fire," is a much more accurate reflection of the band's musical talent. Songs like "Arrow" contain hollow vocals infused with catchy riffs that are sure to engage the listener. RSRD simply needs to reach the point during a live show where their music and their audience click, and the audience has no choice but to remain raptly engaged for the duration of the set.

Crashlander, a fairly new local act, has actually reached that point of engagement. The band's version of straight-up rock revival is a worthy competitor to the Darkness. Crashlander, who is reminiscent of bands like AC/DC or Aerosmith, played a pounding set of arena-ready rock that is all the more impressive when you realize that this band has not actually been together for all that long. It is certain that we can expect great things from this band - on the Black Cat's backstage at least.

For more information on the bands, visit www.morristheband.com, www.runsilentrundeep.com and www.crashlander.net. For more information on DC9 or to protest their 21-plus policy, visit www.dcnine.com.