Interview: actress Julia Stiles

Julia Stiles Born: March 28, 1981 in New York City Education: currently attending Columbia University as an English major Notable films: "Mona Lisa Smile" (2003) with Julia Roberts, "The Bourne Identity" (2002) with Matt Damon and three modern film updats of Shakespeare adaptations, "O" (2001), "Hamlet" (2000) and "10 Things I Hate about You" (1999). Source: imdb.com

The Eagle spoke with actress Julia Stiles recently on a conference call from London. She shared thoughts about her new film, her current work, her college experience and her career.

The Eagle: How's the weather in London?

JS: Cold and drizzly.

Eagle: What are you working on now?

JS: "Oleanna" by David Mamet. It's a play showing in the West End of London. It's about a college girl who asks her professor for help with school then accuses him of sexual harassment, then of rape. But I don't want to give away too much. I rehearse for eight hours a day. It's exhausting but exhilarating. It's the trade off between a play and a movie. Working on a movie you might be there all day and only perform for 15 minutes.

Eagle: How much were you thinking about "Hamlet" or "Coming to America" when you were filming "The Prince & Me"?

JS: It's funny that you say that. Someone pointed that out the other day. I was really thinking it has more parallels with "Hamlet" - a young guy trying to come to terms with himself and his world. But as far as plot goes, I think it's more like one of the love stories.

Eagle: What was your favorite part about filming the movie?

JS: Being in Prague. And horseback lessons.

Eagle: Worst part?

JS: The rain scene was not a fun day. It was cold and my shirt was wet.

Eagle: How do you create chemistry on screen?

JS: What I try and do is develop a familiarity with the people I work with. I wouldn't have an affair with my co-star, but I like to bond with the person I'm acting with. Then I pull from different things like relationships and real life.

Eagle: How do you think your college experience is different from those of other people?

JS: I think my college experience is different not because of my celebrity but because I have a career. I don't have to be searching. I don't have to worry about grades except for pride.

Eagle: Do you think you're type cast?

JS: I see all of my roles as different. I can only speak from my perspective. All I can do is make choices, which will excite me about going to work everyday.