Increase of STDs in youths proves costly

According to a study conducted by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill earlier this year, nearly half of all new STD cases occurred in people between the ages of 15 and 24.

The three most common diseases - human papillomavirus, trichomoniasis and chlamydia - made up 88 percent of cases among young adults, according to the study.

The study used statistics on known STD cases. Most of the time, STDs are unreported because many youth lack symptoms and do not get tested for diseases regularly, the findings said, adding that those who are diagnosed with an STD often feel ashamed and betrayed.

The study estimated that the overall cost stemming from young Americans who contracted STD in 2000 will be at least $6.5 billion.

According to the findings, youth are more likely to contract STDs though irresponsible sexual habits. Using drugs and alcohol affects young adults' judgment when it comes to sex.

The study also indicates more factors linking women to risky sexual behavior. These include a lack of self-esteem, fear of talking about using condoms, lack of control in romantic relationships and an inability to discuss sex with a partner.

"I started having sex young and now I know a lot more," the study quotes one woman as saying. "I really didn't talk with my partner about sex. We just did it. When I think back, I probably didn't even want to have sex."

The study said that there are a number of factors that can significantly reduce the risks of contracting an STD. These include good support networks of parents or friends who support a young adult's sexual abstinence or help make safe decisions.

"Youth who believe they could get pregnant or get an STD tend to take fewer sexual risks than you who don't believe it could happen to them," the study said.

The Student Health Center's Web site provides students with detailed information about some STDs.

According to the Web site, the Health Center offers confidential testing for STDs, but is legally required to report positive results to District government. Students who want completely anonymous testing can get a list of facilities offering this testing from the Health Center.

Other STD tests can also be arranged at the center at varying prices, Health Center Director Bethany Chiaramonte said. Chlamydia and gonorrhea can be tested for free, while tests for syphilis can be done as part of a $15 blood draw.

She said that students who do not feel comfortable getting tested at the Health Center are referred to either the Whitman-Walker Clinic or the Washington Free Clinic.

However, Chiaramonte said that the center offers anonymous testing for HIV for $30.

"No name is associated with the specimen," she said. "There is absolutely no notation of the person's name."

AU junior Loic Deils finds the study's findings alarming.

"I attribute the findings to the ways of college societies, making difficult to better protecting one's self, considering how little consideration students give to the issues of STDs," Diels said.