GLBTA awards honor filmmakers

Two renowned documentary filmmakers received the Richard L. Schlegal National Legion of Honor Award on Tuesday night by the AU's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center.

This marks the seventh annual awards ceremony, which also recognized the contributions of students and faculty to the GLBT community on campus.

The award is funded by '54 alumnus Richard L. Schlegal, and is given every year to individuals who have "exhibited outstanding leadership and significantly contributed to the dignity and freedom of GLBT people."

During the 1960s, Schlegel was the plaintiff in a case of employment discrimination that was appealed to the Supreme Court after he was fired from a federal government position.

One of the winners Joan Elizabeth Biren, whose work spans over 30 years and has made lesbian issues visible in today's society, was given the Visionary Leader award. The filmmaker of the 2001 movie "Scout's Honor," Tom Shepard was also given an award as an Emerging Activist.

This year's award theme was "Making a Difference through Visual Arts," and was presented to individuals who had made outstanding contributions to the development of vivid gay, lesbian, transgender and queer presences in the independent visual and performing arts.

Also known as JEB, Biren has been a photographer, activist and filmmaker in the GLBT community for the last 30 years. Her work has appeared in publications like Off Our Backs, The Washington Blade and Boston's Gay Community News. She also co-founded Moonforce Media and helped to organized the first feminist film festival festival in D.C.

Her most recent work is the documentary "No Secret Anymore: The Times of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon," which looks at the relationship between two women who have been partners in love and political struggle for a half-century. The film was shown at the end of the awards ceremony.

Meanwhile, Shepard's best-known film explored the anti-gay policies of the Boy Scouts of America and the campaign to overturn them. He was nominated for the award because of his role in presenting the intersection of heterosexual America with positive gay role models. His past work includes co-producing and editing a film about a summer camp for children with homosexual parents called "Camp Lavender Hill."

The two were nominated by a committee that included leaders from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), such as Director of Regional Media Glennda Testone and Entertainment Director Stephen Macias, filmmaker Nisha Ganatra (Chutney Popcorn), and AU instructor and filmmaker Bob Connelly. A committee of AU students and faculty members then selected the winners.

Six students, one faculty member and the Office of Admissions were also awarded special awards for their contributions on campus. Students Devin Molina and Allison Waite were given the Academic Award for outstanding academic work on GLBT issues, while Corie Osborn and Jarrett Perlow were given the Bridge Builder's Award for building campus diversity and intercultural understanding regarding sexual orientation and gender identity.

"The campus changes because of the role of faculty and students who work to create a campus climate more comfortable for GLBT students, but much work still needs to be done," said Program Director Dr. Mindy Michels of the GLBTA Resource Center who has been working with center for the last seven years.

The Leadership Award went to Christine Neejer and Chris Salazar for their work in improving the University climate for GLBT students. Bob Connelly was given an award for his support and advocacy on behalf of GLBT students and issues. The Campus Excellence Award was given to the Office of Admissions for its commitment to improving the campus climate by incorporating GLBT into its working issues.

The event also included a musical tribute by the AU organization Dime-A-Dozen in memory of the recent deaths of Zachary Stacy and Tymon "Tymex" Birchett.

"This year has been a particularly exciting year, as court decisions from the Canadian courts, and from the Massachusetts Supreme Court were handed down actively affirming the rights and dignity of same-sex couple," Michels said at the event.

"While there is still much more work to be done - particularly around ensuring protections for people who fall outside of traditional gender and relationship norms - these court decisions represent a broad step forward. The year ahead will be exciting and emotional as our nation grapples with the questions raised by these decisions - on campus we will have an opportunity to dialogue and advocate around these and many other issues"