BROKEN WINGS / ***1/2

"Broken Wings" is an Israeli film about a family which has had a bad nine months and is having an even worse week. The family consists of a mother who is overworked and can't cope with the loss of her husband, a 17-year-old daughter who is an aspiring musician, but is held back by having to take care of her family while her mother works, and a teenage son who, although very smart, does not go to school and instead hides himself in a mouse costume and passes out pamphlets. There is a younger son who is constantly angry and practices free-base jumping as a way to get away from bullies. Then there is a little girl, who just needs to be taken care of and doesn't like how her family never seems to be there for her.

Ninety percent of the movie is depressing. However, even the most depressing moments throw the audience crumbs of hope. Most memorable is when the older son gets up on the ledge of a window with a friend who is going to jump. After they talk for a few minutes the son says they should get down. The girl asks, "Your side or mine?" He says, "Mine." The audience isn't really sure which side that is until they go back inside. Also in the shade of all the downer moments there are some much needed moments of humor tossed in the mix, which offer a relief from the gravity of the film.

Another noteworthy aspect that each of the characters has such a distinct role in the film. The mother holds back the older daughter; she is the reason for the older son to try and she is the symbol of the family before and after the death of her husband. The younger son represents the fear and anger in the family, while the younger daughter is the innocent, and shows the need for the mother that all the children have. The older son is used to express the writer's thoughts and philosophy. He is smart, deep and is the one who says things that will make you think. The older daughter is the story. Her struggle to get a record label, find herself and her struggle with her mother and taking care of the family is the glue of the movie. Each character plays their part to form one superb film.