AU serves up GW on Senior Day

Senior day signifies the end of one moment in life and the beginning of another. At AU on Saturday morning, Seniors Kristina Georgieva and Katarina Kollarova were presented with flowers, hugs and good lucks before their final home match against George Washington University.

After the ceremony, the Women's Tennis team stepped up to the net with racket in hand and sent the seniors off properly, defeating the Colonials, 4-3.

"It's a bittersweet feeling, and I know I'm going to miss this," Kollarova said. "But there's also something new waiting."

Georgieva clawed her way back to the top to win her match, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. Her late rally brought cheers from the crowd and her victory secured AU's win.

Kollarova also defeated her singles competition with ease, winning 6-1, 6-3.

"I was happy with the first set," Kollarova said. "I kept the pressure on and pushed it out for the second."

In doubles action the two seniors teamed up to give the Eagles their only win and to earn the No. 1 spot.

Junior Sasha Zerkalova took home her fifth-straight win when she defeated GW's Sandra Simunic, 7-5, 6-1. Freshman Julia Colarusso stood tall against her opponent, stepping into the No. 5 spot, and winning 6-3, 7-6 (2).

The Women's Tennis team improved their record to 13-8.

The Eagles now prepare to face Georgetown April 14 at 2:30 p.m before participating in the Patriot League tournament on April 17th and 18th. The Eagles will look to capture their second PL crown in three years.

"It's a big question mark," Kollarova said in prediction of AU's success in the PL tournament. "If everyone plays their best, we'll do well"