Weekend Hot Spots

Thursday. March 18

Black Heart Procession Black Cat, $12 1811 14th St. NW

These gloomy San Diego indie-rockers surprised their audience with 2002's "Amore Del Tropico" - deviating from their traditional dark sound to experiment with the uncharted world Spanish flamenco music. The title was also a change of pace for Black Heart Procession, whose previous LPs "1," "2," and "3" had fans anticipating a record called "4." Also opening is Enon, which takes a page from the critically acclaimed book of the Dismemberment Plan by employing oddball samples with whimsical pop-hooks.

Kanye West & Twista 9:30 club Listen to 95.5 to win tickets. 815 V. St. NW

Producer Kayne West's epic "The College Dropout" LP is possibly the most self-deprecating hip-hop record in the last ten years - focusing on West's shortcomings on a vast spectrum, from comical photographs in the liner notes to the rhymes regarding never graduating to stealing clothes while working at the Gap. West has quietly produced hits for everyone from Jay-Z to Alicia Keys. His Chaka Khan-sampled "Through the Wire" tore up the pop charts concurrently with "Slowjamz," a collaboration with Twista and comedian Jamie Foxx.

Friday, March 19

A benefit for The March for Women's Lives The Tavern, $6

Sponsored by Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, this benefit features a variety of girl bands from the DC area, including Del Cielo - a trio in the vein of Sleater-Kinney, Paper Doll - indie rockers featuring AU alumni, and La Gorda, a punk-rock outfit. Jatrice Matrel Gaiter, the president and CEO of PPMW, will also speak.

Saturday, March 20

Mousetrap

DC's brit-pop dance night at the the Black Cat, $8 1811 14th St. NW

Dance to a plethora of brit-pop classes with friends or strangers. Safe bets for spins include Duran Duran, the Smiths, the Cure, Menswear and Franz Ferdinand.

Sunday, March 21

Big in Japan D.C. Nine, $8 1940 9th St. NW

Big In Japan, the side project to Charm City psych rockers Lake Trout, are not to be confused with the pop-punk band Big In Japan on Honest Don's or Big In Japan, the short-lived '80s new wave synth-poppers, whose bass player went on to found the far more popular definitive '80s group Frankie Goes to Hollywood.