Our Take: Shame on you, Gao

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction - and in the unfortunate case of former AU research professor Gao Zhan, who worked at AU from fall 2000 to fall 2002, the truth could land her in prison for a decade or more. Gao pleaded guilty to unlawful export of items to China and to tax fraud, and she will be sentenced Friday in front of U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis. During her two-year stint at AU, Gao exported more than $500,000 worth of microprocessors of military value to China and did not report her earnings on her 2001 tax form. After Gao was detained in China for 166 days in 2001, the AU community responded with widespread support for Gao and her family. Although it is unfortunate that Gao turned out to be a different person than the AU community thought she was, the AU community should in no way be blamed or shamed by its support of Gao two and a half years ago.

It is commendable that AU supported its researcher in her time of need. AU did not know about Gao's illegal activities at the time and was merely trying to protect its own from foreign persecution. AU students also responded with overwhelming support, and Gao's successful release prompted a large and high-profile celebration upon her return to campus. Gao's detainment garnered national attention as well, and no one appeared to suspect any wrongdoing on Gao's part.

In light of Gao's conviction, it is unfortunate and embarrassing that AU President Benjamin Ladner and AU professors and staff members took the time, money and trouble to travel to China on Gao's behalf in 2001. Gao received AU's effort with gratitude and grace, and at the time it would have been hard to imagine that she was committing any egregious crimes. It's easy to point fingers and start the blame game, but for this incident the AU administration, students and community were not at fault and should be respected for supporting a cause they felt was just. The Eagle can only hope such incidents will not occur in the future, and that the AU community will not lose its trust in its valuable professors and staff.