Our Take: Sayonara, supersize

The next time you go to the tunnel, you may not be able to get your Big Mac supersized. George Washington professor John Banzhaf III was involved in a lawsuit recently that is trying to pressure McDonald's to make its menu healthier. Partly in response to such lawsuits, McDonald's is phasing out its supersize meals.

The Eagle understands that fast-food chains like McDonald's have been around for half a century and are ingrained in America's fast-paced culture. People often don't have time to cook for themselves, which is cheaper and healthier than eating at fast-food chains. Although the chains are adept at marketing strategies - the horrendous McDonald's TV commercials excepted - to claim that McDonald's makes people obese is a stretch. McDonald's is not luring innocent people to its evil lair of gluttonous sin, but it has perhaps gone too far in claiming its meals are healthy.

Fast-food chains have to provide a list of nutrition facts with their food, and if people choose to ignore those facts, they should not blame the fast-food companies for "making" them obese.

In addition, many fast-food chains offer a wide array of menu options, including salads and low-carbohydrate meals. If people still feel like they have to eat at a fast-food chain all the time, they should make a conscious effort to choose a healthier meal. If they can't do that all the time, they can always exercise to counteract the fat. The bottom line is that people should be responsible for their actions and should not blame fast-food companies for their own inability to stay fit.