Campus Briefs

E-operations plans to double AU network capacity over break

Due to slow Internet response times on the campus network, e-operations, part of AU's technology department, has chosen to double the capacity of the University's Internet connection during Spring Break, according to a memo to the campus community from Carl Whitman, executive director of e-operations. As a precaution, the extra capacity will be provided through a second Internet service provider.

"The server shouldn't be down if all goes well," Whitman said. "The reason why the work is being done after midnight and over Spring Break is a precaution, just in case something does happen to the server."

Big factors in system delays are the worm and virus outbreaks that overload AU's portal, Whitman said. e-operations has responded to the outbreaks by creating a network-based virus detection software that intercepts and destroys e-mails with viruses hidden in them.

"The MyDoom virus was one of our biggest outbreaks this year," Whitman said. "We stopped a quarter-million virus-laden e-mails from attacking the campus."

During times of system instability, visit the system status Web site at status.american.edu.

- KATE OCZYPOK

SIS holds research symposium for undergraduates last Tuesday

The seventh annual School of International Service Undergraduate Research Symposium was held last Tuesday in the Gianni Lounge in Mary Graydon Center. The purpose of the symposium is for SIS undergraduate students to present their research papers. Approximately 30 students participated in the event as moderators and presenters. Students were nominated by professors based on their research paper grades and GPA.

The event was co-sponsored by the SIS Undergraduate Student Cabinet.

"We strive to represent the SIS student body and to improve the quality of events," said Melissa Budahzy, vice president of the cabinet. "We also work with the Student Confederation."

There were six panels, each with a different theme that took place during the event. Among those panels included "Identity and Displacement" moderated by Budahzy, and "Race, Gender and Culture" moderated by Rachel Good.

"My favorite part of the symposium was the response students got from the audience," Budahzy said. "Our question-and-answer session lasted over fifteen minutes."

Future talks sponsored by the cabinet include one titled "Bush and Blair's Relationship Post 9-11."

"The SIS Undergraduate Student Cabinet would like to thank everyone who participated in the event, including all of the presenters and moderators," Budahzy said. "They should feel inspired to begin sharing their research with their fellow students and professors."

- K. O.